Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I do Leica blue Moon...

Stu

My apologies for the cheesy title 🤣

I am at my parent's in Wokingham today and Mum popped out to do some gardening after lunch. I noticed the Moon high up in a fairly clear blue sky, and remembered I had my little TS 72mm in the car with everything I needed for a little lunar observing and to keep her company.

I opted for the Giro-WR on the Skywatcher pillar and Gitzo tripod, and the Leica Zoom so I could fine tune the magnification. I tried with and without the AP Barcon and it gave a very good range of magnification. I enjoyed viewing right across the range of powers, and the seeing was actually very steady so even high power was useable. I did add my Neodymium filter to help the contrast a little.

Plenty to see as usual and Theophilus, Cyrillus and Catharina with surrounding smaller craters were excellent still despite being a little way from the terminator. The contrast on the smaller craters even away from the terminator was quite striking, Proclus for example, and the Palus Somni region was also very well illuminated. I didn't bother too much with identifying what I was looking at, just enjoyed the views in the sunshine, although it is chilling down out there already and the wind is bitter!

A few shots for posterity attached.

20200301_163413.jpg

20200301_165148.jpg

20200301_171601.jpg

• Like 12

16 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

hope you're gonna self-isolate now Stu, was a confirmed covid-19 case in that area according to the news! 😮 

Just heard about that, in Woodley I believe, getting closer as there was one in Haslemere to in think. I shall flee for the 'safety' of Walton shortly 😉

14 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I hope you're going to self-isolate now @Stu: that's got to be the cheesiest forum thread title on SGL for quite a while.

🙂

I do apologise Jeremy 😉. It is my worst for quite a while I think, and that is saying something 🤣🤣

• Haha 2