Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion optics help

5 hours ago, Neil H said:

Thank you mind is the VX8L 

Your all nice folk on here it's the best forum by far 

Well it does seem to focus so may be I don't need one , so how can I set up the spotter scope in the day time unless I can find something miles away 

I also had the VX8L.

To align the finder during the day on a church spire around 1/4 mile away I had to use all the extension tubes in the focuser.

Once under the stars I had to remove one extension tube to get focus.

I also moved the primary to it’s furthest setting from the secondary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

I also had the VX8L.

To align the finder during the day on a church spire around 1/4 mile away I had to use all the extension tubes in the focuser.

Once under the stars I had to remove one extension tube to get focus.

I also moved the primary to it’s furthest setting from the secondary.

So I need to buy the extension so I can get scope set up , but may not need it to look at planets etc  

2 minutes ago, NGC 1502 said:

Perhaps you could take the scope somewhere there’s a distant view ?

Ed.

Hi Ed I can't at the moment got to get the power pack was not expecting to get this scope but it was a bargain the invoice said £1300 it's not been used Sat in a cupboard for years I got it for £600 

I have an OOUK 8L as well as their 10 inch f/4.8.  The focal plane is 100mm outside the tube.  So an extension tube is needed for most visual use.

Both have the same OC1-M focusser that you have. The 10 inch is currently stripped down ready to paint the interior with Black 3.0. Then I'll be fitting a Baader Diamond Steeltrack focusser.  There's just no comparison between the two focussers with the Baader being as smooth as butter.

I''m another who uses the moon to align the finder.  There's certainly no parallax then!