NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Quiet Solar Disk - 29 Feb 2020

David Smith

Finally a weekend day when it's doing something other than lashing in rain! Still blowing a hoolie and some sharp showers around but I can work around those. Dusted off the solar imaging gear and grabbed a couple of captures between the showers. So just a Ca-K disk today, nothing going on in white light and no proms (of any significance) on show in Ca-K. Shot with the AR102xs masked off to 50mm, 1000 frames with the ASI178MM and Lunt B1200 Ca-K module. Processed in AS3!, ImPPG & GIMP. Certainly not my best work but good to get my first shot of 2020 in. Looking back my last solar image was on November 29, exactly 3 months ago.

20200229_Ca-K_AR102FD.thumb.png.a56f4873c6e6825989152538eee1b3df.png

• Like 7

great discs David, yes very quite mate, I had a qwick look thismorrning, just some very small proms, my cam is acting up it was giving me live view but very low res think it needs recycling or a Exorcism 😀. charl.

Edited by xtreemchaos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Altocumulus said:

You found masking off to 50mm a benefit - is it something you do frequently....?

Yes, the AR102xs is horrible for Ca-K at full aperture but respectable when masked off to 50mm. The shorter focal length of the Bresser means I can grab a full disk in 1 frame which is important when the weather is "dynamic" as it was today, no chance of getting multiple frames for a full disk mosaic with clouds and showers around! Given better conditions I use my Evostar 120 as weapon-of-choice which needs no masking and has better resolving capability but I need 6 panes for a full disk.

Edited by David Smith
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1