Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Second attempt

Nikodemuzz

Yesterday I was able to have another go at imaging. The conditions were much better than during my first try, described here. The wind was quite strong, around 12 m/s, which I sought to mitigate by setting up behind a large sign at my "dark" site, Bortle 5. I think the gusts might have eaten some sharpness from the image, but overall I'm very happy with the result. I think I may have actually danced when I saw what was visible already on a high-ISO short exposure I took to verify composition and focus. 😃

I was still unable to get the Synguider working. I couldn't get it to focus on my finder, which I could swear was possible before... This time I got much better polar alignment, though. The image is a stack of 86x40s exposures, stacked in DSS and processed in Photoshop. My inexperience processing astrophotos shows, but the image is still far better than I had hoped to achieve at this stage. Camera was Fujifilm X-T3, and the scope William Optics SpaceCat 51.

I'm not sure about the gradient from left to right. Is it due to the dust cloud around M42, or is it just a gradient that shouldn't be there?

M42+HH.jpg

Edited by Nikodemuzz
  • Like 19

Definitely looks like a gradient to me, yes. But a really good image! Beautifully framed and tons of detail, very sharp and nice round stars. Lots of cloudy nebulosity visible. Incredible photo for a second attempt at imaging!

I took the liberty of throwing the image through PixInsight's DynamicBackgroundExtraction and it spits out this nice orange gradient which looks like textbook sodium light pollution to me.

_1971938994_M42HH_background.jpg.ed066bd52a53a5a5ce13880f7436cb6a.jpg

Subtracted gets you this:

_1971938994_M42HH_DBE.thumb.jpg.305572bcf7c5ea40345bd596e244c1c5.jpg

Edited by discardedastro
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks discardedastro! Your adjustment made a ton of difference! It makes total sense, now that I think about it. The gradient is oriented from the ground up, Orion was already pretty low, and there was a few lights in that direction. I might have to take PixInsight's trial version for a spin. Their tools seem pretty powerful.

11 hours ago, Nikodemuzz said:

Thanks discardedastro! Your adjustment made a ton of difference! It makes total sense, now that I think about it. The gradient is oriented from the ground up, Orion was already pretty low, and there was a few lights in that direction. I might have to take PixInsight's trial version for a spin. Their tools seem pretty powerful.

Not so much a learning curve as a cliff, but it made a world of difference to me vs StarTools/DSS/Photoshop to have specifically astro-focused tools across the entire processing workflow. I'd budget for a copy of "Inside PixInsight" as a requirement, though - it's the missing manual!

16 hours ago, discardedastro said:

Not so much a learning curve as a cliff, but it made a world of difference to me vs StarTools/DSS/Photoshop to have specifically astro-focused tools across the entire processing workflow. I'd budget for a copy of "Inside PixInsight" as a requirement, though - it's the missing manual!

Thanks for the fair warning! 😃 Cliff, you say? I'll have to bring a safety harness in the form of a large mug of cocoa beer.

15 hours ago, RobH2020 said:

That's really cool, good work. 

What do you reckon the total exposure time was? I have no idea about astro photography - do tell me if that question doesn't make sense!

Thanks Rob!

The total exposure time was about 57 minutes.

I'm practicing with PixInsight, and I started by re-processing this image. There is quite a difference, don't you think? I can certainly see why people use PixInsight, although I must say I 'm quite far from understanding how a proper workflow should go and how the important tools function. However, I'm quite happy with what I accomplished as a first go, and honestly I am over the moon with this image in general, being so new to all of this.

In the PI image I seem to have had much better luck in controlling the noise and background, and bringing out structure and detail in the nebulae. On the other hand, I seem to have lost some of the faint HA signal in the process. Also the color balance is remarkably different, and the stars are a bit more bloated in the PI version. Somewhere in the middle would be the sweet spot, in my opinion.

M42+HH_2.jpg

• 3 months later...