Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sh2-187 in Cassiopeia LRGB

gorann

On Suday night I caught another nebula from the Sharpless catalogue. I think it is my 13th (not counting those that also have NGC numbers). This is a young and compact HII nebula, and the image also captures some of the dark nebulosity forming a larger ring.

RGB was collected with Esprit 150 and ASI071 (OSC) and a TS 3" 0.79 x reducer (65 x 5 min). Luminosity was collected with the Esprit 100 and ASI1600MM (54 x 5 min). Sitting side by side on the Mesu 200 mount.

I am still not happy with the TS 3" 0.79x reducer. I have tried all distances between 51 and 55 mm and 52.5 mm seems to do least harm to the image but the stars in the corners are still elongated (on my APS-C size chip) and I am starting to suspect that this is as good at it gets with this reducer specimen. The dedicated Esprit flatteners work perfectly and it is a pity that SW do not make dedicated reducers for the Esprits. The situation here was saved a bit by the Lum layer from the Esprit 100 (with flettener) and ASI1600MM, but you can see some resudual chromatic abberation in the corners if you pixel peep (so don't do it😉).

20200223 Sh2-187 LRGB PS30smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 15

11 hours ago, gorann said:

Thanks Olly - have you had a go at it? I found it by surfing around in Tom O'Donoghue's Cassiopeia mosaic, so thanks @Tom OD!

Hi Gorann

I was about to say nice catch and that I recognise that object 😁 thanks for the shout out  

Great high res pic here. Give the “face of Mars” a go. I d love to see that in High red. It’s another Sharpless object. Can’t remember it’s number though. Somewhere between 178 and 188

Tom 

11 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

No, I did do some targets at high res with Tom for inclusion in his mosaic but not this one. That needs to change!

Olly

Face on Mars, face on Mars 😂😂

Edited by Tom OD

5 hours ago, Tom OD said:

Hi Gorann

I was about to say nice catch and that I recognise that object 😁 thanks for the shout out  

Great high res pic here. Give the “face of Mars” a go. I d love to see that in High red. It’s another Sharpless object. Can’t remember it’s number though. Somewhere between 178 and 188

Tom 

Hi Tom,

Thanks! Are you talking about Sh2-173 aka The Phantom of the Opera Nebula? It was next on my list and it shall be clear tonight, but if you also talk Olly @ollypenrice into imaging it with his double TAK rig maybe I should chose another Sh2 object😉.

35 minutes ago, gorann said:

Hi Tom,

Thanks! Are you talking about Sh2-173 aka The Phantom of the Opera Nebula? It was next on my list and it shall be clear tonight, but if you also talk Olly @ollypenrice into imaging it with his double TAK rig maybe I should chose another Sh2 object😉.

The double Tak is out of commission since Tom is now solo in his remote shed at my place. It's now a double TEC we share...

Olly

2 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

The double Tak is out of commission since Tom is now solo in his remote shed at my place. It's now a double TEC we share...

Olly

I actually think I meant the double TECs.

5 minutes ago, des anderson said:

Amazing image!! A big thumb`s up from me. Des

Thanks a a lot Dan!

And hold you thumb (a Swedish version of cross you fingers) - it is clear again tonight:blob1:

Edited by gorann

16 hours ago, gorann said:

Hi Tom,

Yes thats the one.

Tom

6 hours ago, alan potts said:

Always a pleasure to look at your work Gorann.

Alan

Thanks a lot Alan!

On 27/02/2020 at 02:47, Tom OD said:

Yes thats the one.

Tom

I aimed at another of the nebula I found in your Cassiopeia mosaic: vdB4 and the Sailboat Cluster (NGC225). I am about to post it now in a separate thread. The Face of Mars will have to wait - seems like we will be clouded in until the next full moon.

• Like 2