Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ5 Go-To Request

If you're into diy there is a cheaper option that will produce an equivalent result. It does involve soldering and making up brackets.  

Tom Carpenter's AstroEQ (here) can be made up and installed for about 1/3 the  cost.  You need a laptop or similar to run it but you get belt driven stepper motor accuracy and Goto when used with a planetarium program like Cartes du Ciel or Stellarium. 

I use one on my EQ5 when imaging with a 200mm lens.  

Edited by almcl

13 hours ago, skyking_comms said:

Thanks Peter - that's a bit more expensive than I was hoping. Will keep my eye out for a used Kit.  Looks fairly straight forward to install. 

It is not straightforward to install, the instructions are woeful, when you come to do it, refer to this thread

I guess I had it easier on installing as I bought a used EQ5-goto. But testing it once home it struggled, had been unused for a while. Removing the motors I found the EQ5 was reluctant in parts of its travel so I swapped the motors and electronics over to another EQ5 I already had after which it ran just fine. Take your time when installing the gears and motors so you have them aligned nicely and then manually run the mount using the handset at moderate slew, tweak the motor/gear installation if needed, then do the final assembly of the casings etc. You may need to adjust the clutch lock levers too so they stay cleat of the housing when the mount is rotating. 

One day I'll pull the other EQ5 apart and service it, but as its pretty much spare at the mo I've not been in a rush to do it 🙂 

My alternative option was to sell my Skywatcher 200P with the EQ5 and get a Celestron Nexstar 6SE which has the go-to. 

What do people think? 

Not sure what my setup is worth nowadays but I've seen the Nexstar 6SE go for around £500 on Amazon. Unlikely to get the synscan for less than £300 unless I went for the diy option. 

depends how fast you want one, they do come up on the bay fairly often as a complete head+tripod tho you may need to go collect given weight and bulk of the EQ5 plus tripod. IIRC I paid £160 for mine and as a bonus it was reasonably local. Occasionally just the upgrade kit comes up but new they are >300 at the mo.

edit: 

No idea on these but...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EQStarEQ5-GOTO-EQ-drive-upgrade-kit-for-equatorial-mount-EQ-5-CG-5-MEADE-LXD-LX/312879931732?hash=item48d918e154:g:Gc0AAOSwLIZeDGB5

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EQDrive-UPGRADE-KIT-EQ-5-CG-5-MEADE-LXD-and-others-GOTO-telescope-control-system/223856727627?hash=item341ee6964b:g:NK4AAOSwrqBbqgHq

Edited by DaveL59

20 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

Thanks for the link - I'm keeping an eye on it. 

Not sure I'd want to gamble on the other upgrade kits.  

I was looking back at some sold items and it looks like the EQ5 mount can sell for more on it's own than selling it with the 200P telescope.