NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope Storage

Hi, could anyone give some advice on telescope storage?

I’ve just assembled my first scope which is a Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145P (pics below). I’m planning on storing it, fully assembled in my garage, ready for frequent use.

I was just wondering if this was ok, as although it’s obviously sheltered from wind and rain, the temperature would get near on the same as the outside temperature? Could this be detrimental to it?

4D6107DB-C6DB-4326-A0EE-57C19FC6BBBA.jpeg

6AD754C4-025C-4769-A9F7-0E54C66F1AFA.jpeg

6 minutes ago, banjaxed said:

The advantage of keeping your scope at near outside temperature reduces the cool down time.

Absolutely! I would encourage anyone who has the ability to keep their scopes outside and under cover to do so. Just set up and away you go, little if any cool down time needed.

Here is my Dob out on the front lawn having come from the wooden house I built for it, visible on the left under the house roof overhang which keeps all the weather off...

94922162_ScopeHouse.jpg.dcea6e0c50e83b7a41128fb3f44a1c89.jpg

• Like 1

To me they are also show piece's I like them on the living room.  A small scope probably only needs 20 min cooldown time.

I just bring out go back for abit then come out to observe. This is me tho if u rather keep it in shed that's ok.

I guess also to me with 4 seasons I just dont like it unprotected even if rain doesn't fall on it, theres dew humidity and frost for long periods of time.im sure keeping it theres 24/7/52 will slowly wear it down faster

joejaguar 

Chimnea and/or BBQ and/or picnic furniture covers from the well known auction site are inexpensive, come in a complete range of sizes and make wonderful dust covers for telescopes.  You might want to get one to help stop spiders taking up residence.

On 09/02/2020 at 07:06, Bryan_D said:

Hi, could anyone give some advice on telescope storage?

I’ve just assembled my first scope which is a Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145P (pics below). I’m planning on storing it, fully assembled in my garage, ready for frequent use.

I was just wondering if this was ok, as although it’s obviously sheltered from wind and rain, the temperature would get near on the same as the outside temperature? Could this be detrimental to it?

4D6107DB-C6DB-4326-A0EE-57C19FC6BBBA.jpeg

6AD754C4-025C-4769-A9F7-0E54C66F1AFA.jpeg

Check out the thread (Where do you keep your gear) in the  Getting Started General Help and Advice section for lots more ideas and advice.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice everyone, it’s been really helpful. I have two little ones, so space is at a premium. I think I’ll have to keep it in the garage with a decent cover to keep the wildlife out. 

3 hours ago, banjaxed said:

Check out the thread (Where do you keep your gear) in the  Getting Started General Help and Advice section for lots more ideas and advice.

Thanks for the additional link banjaxed, some really good feedback on there! Note to self, search the forum before asking questions, as it’s likely been asked... and answered before! 

3 hours ago, Louis D said:

@Bryan_D Keep us informed about how you get on with your new scope since lots of folks buy these as a first scope.

I will do Louis. In fact I took it out for the first time tonight, completely clueless of course, but just to try out some of the lenses etc. Quite a bit of cloud cover so I wasn’t out very long, but just wanted to get a feel for the altitude, RA etc. I hadn’t aligned it to anything so I couldn’t even try finding anything. 
TBH, the whole thing confuses the heck out of me, but I’ll just keep reading and  trying outdoors and I reckon it will click into place soon enough! Overall, I think it’s great scope and once I’ve got the just of it, I’m going to be doing a lot of discovering. 

I have y even had a chance to look at the moon with it yet, managed the odd glance at Orion and Sirius though. 
I’ll provide updates as I progress! 👍

2 hours ago, VNA said:

Hello,

IMO--A dry place with a minimum of extreme tmps, and the primary mirror  kept vertical to keep dust from falling on it. Covered as well.

Hi VNA, sounds like good advice to me. Thank you very much. 👌