Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Charles Frank 8.5" Newt on Interesting Original Mount

No connection to the seller, but this looks really interesting, with a very heavy and unusual looking EQ mount.    I would guess it's early 70's, but would love to know some info on this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184162508130

Sadly I don't have the time or space for another project, but hope this finds a good home.

• Like 1

Oh boy, does that bring back memories !

My school had one of those in a dome which we used when I joined the after school astronomy club. It seemed a giant of a scope when I was 12 years old :shocked:

That was 1972 so your dating would be about right Jake :thumbright:

The mounting used was really massive - Sir Patrick Moore used one on his 5 inch Cooke refractor:

pm5inch.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, John said:

My school had one of those in a dome which we used when I joined the after school astronomy club. It seemed a giant of a scope when I was 12 years old :shocked:

It does smack of quality, the mirror looks to be 2.5" thick!     I've never seen a mount quite like that, but I do like the double D lines..... slightly reminiscent of the robot in 'Forbidden Planet'

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, John said:

The mounting used was really massive - Sir Patrick Moore used one on his 5 inch Cooke refractor:

pm5inch.jpg

When I was a teenager I spent an unhealthy amount of time lusting at photographs of the 5" Cooke triplet. Then in 2007 I finally got my hands on it, although it was looking worse for wear. Not long afterwards, I believe it was someone at BC&F who renovated it and brought it back to its original glory. It still stops me in my tracks each time I see photo's of it. 

I'd certainly give that 8"Newtonian on the Frank mount a comfortable home if the price was right, but bidding is too much trouble.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I'd certainly give that 8"Newtonian on the Frank mount a comfortable home if the price was right, but bidding is too much trouble.

Bidding on that auction site need not be stressful at all. You simply and coldly decide well before the auction ends the maximum you’d be prepared to pay, and submit that whole amount, regardless of what level it’s got to, with around 5-10 seconds to go. You either win it or you don’t: it’s simply a test of people’s maximum levels, and the beauty is if you do win, you only pay the next-best person’s amount plus a bit. No self-respecting ebayer ever actually “bids”.

cheers (go for it :) )Magnus

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Here's the catalogue entry for it.  The catalogue is from 1971.

HI Paul,  Many thanks for finding and posting this - wonderful to see the original specification and pricing.     Over £ 4,000 pounds in today's money...

• Like 2