Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Homebase plastic shed observatory

vincentnm

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=7055474&c_4=4%7Ccat_11775863%7CPlastic+sheds+and+storage%7C10485001&c_3=3%7Ccat_10484994%7CSheds%7C11775863&c_2=2%7Ccat_10308073%7CSheds+and+outdoor+buildings%7C10484994&c_1=1%7Ccategory_root%7CGardening%7C10308073

I plan to buy this asap. Is there anything obvious that is detrimental to this being used as my obsy?

I have an EQ6, Celestron 9.25 with a piggy backed ED80. The roof will be detached for an imaging session. There seems to be just enough room for the scope to slew around and peek out down to an altitude of around 20 degrees.

Any feedback? concerns?

Thanks,

Vincent.

How are you going to mount the scope Vincent. Do you intend having a pier concreted into the ground, or do you not intend to do any imaging?.

Homebase always seem to be overpriced to me. We have one where I live, and although my wife likes to look around, she never buys anything, because she can always find it cheaper elsewhere. Of course this item may be on a par with any other supplier price wise.

Having said all that, it will make a sound enclosure for your setup.

Ron.

My only concern would be condensation, especially if it has a translucent roof.

Wood IMHO would be better and probably a lot cheaper.

http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/

Wood is something I have never worked with. Well have not done much of DIY anyway except from slapping together assemblies from argos. A £40 dehumidifier might take care of the condensation. But another issue someone brought up was the heat getting trapped inside a plastic structure like this. Again wood will ease this. Hmm.. you've set me thinking...

How are you going to mount the scope Vincent. Do you intend having a pier concreted into the ground, or do you not intend to do any imaging?.

Homebase always seem to be overpriced to me. We have one where I live, and although my wife likes to look around, she never buys anything, because she can always find it cheaper elsewhere. Of course this item may be on a par with any other supplier price wise.

Having said all that, it will make a sound enclosure for your setup.

Ron.

Yeah I plan to continue with my imaging as I had been doing with the tripod till now. I thought, I'd just put the tripod inside. Have some anti vibration pads from Meade.

From what I've heard, some people line their shed with polystyrene to help minimise the chances of condensation forming inside. The dehumidifier idea would also be a good one. You also need to ensure that you don't get damp coming up through the floor.

I built my own domed obsy. many years ago. The dome was galvanised metal, and condensation was a pest. I lined it with polystyrene, stuck on with PVA. Painted it with a matt black emulsion paint. No more condensation. Worked a treat. It even made it feel warmer in there. :(

Ron. :D

I have just bought a metal 6 x 7 foot shed from ebay, came to £125 inc delivery, haven't put it up yet

http://tinyurl.com/3r38z4

but here is a site of someone who has done the same.

http://almiraobservatory.awardspace.com/

Wow! What a lucky bloke to get the go-ahead to spend like that!

Interestingly enough, the examples of observatories shown don't seem to have used any kind of lining on the inside of the metal walls. I wonder if they have found some other way to stop condenstaion?

I've built two or three observatories with both metal run-off roofs and walls.

Condensation shows that the heat has dissappated and that the metal work is as cold as the surroundings ergo no thermal seeing effects. That's one of the advantages!!!!

The easy answer is to live with it and keep the maps, etc on a wooden desk/ shelf away from the walls.

My 2c

Read some reviews about the tin shed that its a nightmarre to assemble and a definite no no for the DIY challenged. Knowing my propensity for clumsy accidents,I'll never get it done. So thinking plastic again.

Air vents to solve heating problem, and dehumidifier for the condensation.

Vince,

Honestly there's no real challenge in building the tin shed. I put the Argos one together, myself, all up in 8 hours.

The main thing is to read and re-read the instructions, lay everything out and full understand the sequence of assembly.

I bought one of these metal sheds as well.

An 8'x6' metal but looks like wood. came in a million bits but instructions were really clear and took me by myself maybe 6 hours to assemble.

It does suffer condensation but all metal and plastic sheds will.

What I did as well was lined mine inside with wood. makes it really sturdy only condensation now is on the roof.

Not a close up photo but you can see it.

telescopezc5.jpg

DON'T let those reviews put you off.... Just need patience a screwdriver and a small spanner.... Check out my link and you'll see the various stages of construction. Obviously any questions just ask!! or drop me a PM and I can take more photos for you. ( I'm NOT on commission with Argos, just think it's a very good solution!)

http://ukastroimaging.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=40174.0

Archived