Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jan 29, 2020: Spotted a spot!

Managed to catch a brief gap in the clouds with the humble Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars, and lo and behold, a spot was visible, northern hemisphere, right of centre. It must be a decent size to be visible at just 8x. I rushed downstairs with the Coronado SolarMax-II 60 I keep in my office, but I was too late to set it up :( , clouds rushed in. Still, I actually spotted a spot, so shouldn't grumble (too much)

• Like 4

Just managed to see it myself too. White Light using Solar Film. View didn’t improve much with magnification so dropped back down, and it soon clouded over. First ever sun spot for me though so still happy.

Tim

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AstroTim said:

Just managed to see it myself too. White Light using Solar Film. View didn’t improve much with magnification so dropped back down, and it soon clouded over. First ever sun spot for me though so still happy.

Also a first for me. I used my 90mm Mak with solar film and Solar Scout 60mm Ha, and the white light view was more impressive.

Geoff

7 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Managed to catch a brief gap in the clouds with the humble Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars, and lo and behold, a spot was visible, northern hemisphere, right of centre. It must be a decent size to be visible at just 8x. I rushed downstairs with the Coronado SolarMax-II 60 I keep in my office, but I was too late to set it up :( , clouds rushed in. Still, I actually spotted a spot, so shouldn't grumble (too much)

Thanks for the heads up today. Definitely feels like activity is very gradually increasing. Suspect we’ll have to wait until next year before the new cycle kicks in.