Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

AndyThilo

NGC 2144 Monkey Head Nebula

NGC 2174 Monkey Head Nebula

Shot with Esprit 80, ASI294MC Pro @ -20 and Optolong L-Enhance 2" filter.

Reprocessed following advise in another forum. My flats were giving me major problems. This is 45 lights @ 180 sec and 40 matching darks. No flats or bias. Fully processed in PI with final framing and export in Lightroom.

49433337752_4b0744db3a_b.jpgNGC 2174 Monkey Head Nebula V2 by Andy Thilo, on Flickr

• Like 11

Nice capture.  The big bright star in the top right has an unusual profile - did you resolve all your Esprit 80 challenges?  

• Like 1

I image this the other month and got a very similar result, difference being, I didn't know what I was imaging until the processing started. Nice shot of it you have taken too.

Alan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geeklee said:

Nice capture.  The big bright star in the top right has an unusual profile - did you resolve all your Esprit 80 challenges?  

The Esprit saga is ongoing lol. My and Es Reid are coming to the conclusion that temperature is the main issue. To that end I've got a double length dew heater to see if keeping it warmer helps. Other than that I'll ask Es to stick it in his fridge and re-test. Might need the collimation screws loosening a touch. 

• Like 1

Looks really good. Still not seeing a monkey though! I don't know where these names come from...

11 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Looks really good. Still not seeing a monkey though! I don't know where these names come from...

mhn.jpg.bdf62001e54d24f78c69d8b29a97ca6c.jpg

2099388895_Rhesusmacaquemonkey.thumb.jpg.645ac4f4e5d4ff57b19fda05dfc5f85a.jpg

Yay or nay?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess it's like these folk who see images in clouds 😜

Personally I think it looks like a lions head, with the lion facing right. Guess it could be a monkey LOL