NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

wide field bubble lobster/ test

Magnum

• This is a test of the combination of my Atik460 CCD to see how it works with my ED70 refractor with extreme 0.6 focal reducer, ive used this reducer with my old smaller CCD with good results, but was expecting some coma on the corner stars with the larger sensor, but after some selective star shrinking in the corners it doesn't really notice. 8 X 10 mins in Ha with the Altair Starwave 70ED + Lightwave 0.6 reducer giving a very fast F3.6 at 250mm Focal Length in combination with my Atik460CCD. This image contains The Bubble Nebula, M52 Open Cluster, The Lobster Claw Nebula and the small bright nebula at bottom right is NGC7538. Overall im pretty happy with this setup, though I cant help wish I could use my other larger 383CCD to get a bit wider still. May need to make another purchase :-p.Guided, captured, stacked & stretched in MaximDL, combined and processed in Photoshop.
  • Lee

BubbleHasmall.jpg

Edited by Magnum
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Magnum said:
  • This is a test of the combination of my Atik460 CCD to see how it works with my ED70 refractor with extreme 0.6 focal reducer, ive used this reducer with my old smaller CCD with good results, but was expecting some coma on the corner stars with the larger sensor, but after some selective star shrinking in the corners it doesn't really notice. 8 X 10 mins in Ha with the Altair Starwave 70ED + Lightwave 0.6 reducer giving a very fast F3.6 at 250mm Focal Length in combination with my Atik460CCD. This image contains The Bubble Nebula, M52 Open Cluster, The Lobster Claw Nebula and the small bright nebula at bottom right is NGC7538. Overall im pretty happy with this setup, though I cant help wish I could use my other larger 383CCD to get a bit wider still. May need to make another purchase :-p. Lee

BubbleHasmall.jpg

Ah i think it worked well 😂

Yes, very nice!

The shapes of the stars in the corners indicate that you may not have the optimal distance between the reducer and chip. Could be worth exerimenting a bit with that distance - the distance suggested by the manufacturer is not always to be trusted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gorann said:

Yes, very nice!

The shapes of the stars in the corners indicate that you may not have the optimal distance between the reducer and chip. Could be worth exerimenting a bit with that distance - the distance suggested by the manufacturer is not always to be trusted.

I did , tried 3 different distances, ended up going with 45mm instead of 55mm think it was better but lost a bit of reduction so more like 0.7x I think. it only really notices in bottom left corner so may be a little tilt. But im really pushing it to its limits as its designed for smaller sensors like the 314, but im still pretty happy with it.

Lee