SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Quick session with 15x70's.

Ciaran Meier

Out with the Helios Stellar II 15x70's. 

Headed a few miles out of Belfast for a darker eastern sky.  Main area was Augria:  M36, M37, M38 and the following  less conspicus OC's:  NGC 1614, 1857, 2281, and 1907.  Had a peek at M35 and of course M42. 

Anyone thinking of going for a pair of high power binos, go for it !!  I've had the Stellar II's about a year and they have opened up a whole new approach to my astronomy.

• Like 12

I've an 8 inch newt but to be honest since I've had the bino's I'm using them more than the scope. Its just so handy to grap them at a moment's notice and be rewarded with some lovely widefield views.  M42 is really superb, with the 15x70's you can see the splendid swept wing nebula in context with its star fields making up the sword. 

A good investment. 

• Like 1

On 19/01/2020 at 12:04, Ciaran Meier said:

Out with the Helios Stellar II 15x70's. 

Headed a few miles out of Belfast for a darker eastern sky.  Main area was Augria:  M36, M37, M38 and the following  less conspicus OC's:  NGC 1614, 1857, 2281, and 1907.  Had a peek at M35 and of course M42. 

Anyone thinking of going for a pair of high power binos, go for it !!  I've had the Stellar II's about a year and they have opened up a whole new approach to my astronomy.

Nice one! 

I've been looking at the Stella ii for a while now .. were you using a tripod or handheld? .. I was looking for the biggest binocular I can hold - even if it's for just a quick sweep of the sky. I enjoy my 10x50s but often want that little bit more..if I have to use a tripod, I may as well take out the scope...

Mark

• Like 1

Hi Mark

Yep, the benefit of the bino's is grab and go. As for mounting, see attached image of my high tech "monopod" which works a treat ! 

The Stellar II are great,  first time I used them I was just blown away at the clarity and colour they produce.   They can be used handheld for a moment and do feel quite balanced in the hand. I have to say that I enjoy them now as much as the scope. 

20200120_192603.jpg

• Like 2