NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Photographing during full moon

Calzune

hi! Today is full moon and clear skies and Im wondering how you plan nights like this?

Do you shoot star clusters or do you still do nebulas and galaxys but with less exposure?

This is my first full moon with clear skies and I tried to shoot Pleiades but the image went almost totally blue on the APT histogram...

2 minutes ago, Calzune said:

hi! Today is full moon and clear skies and Im wondering how you plan nights like this?

Do you shoot star clusters or do you still do nebulas and galaxys but with less exposure?

This is my first full moon with clear skies and I tried to shoot Pleiades but the image went almost totally blue on the APT histogram...

In all honesty it can be/is waste of time. Doesn’t stop us from trying though. Pick something as far away from the moon as possible, and usually shoot only in Ha.  It’s possible with a OSC but the moon basically acts as light pollution reducing your SNR.  Good for practice or setting up new kit. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

In all honesty it can be/is waste of time. Doesn’t stop us from trying though. Pick something as far away from the moon as possible, and usually shoot only in Ha.  It’s possible with a OSC but the moon basically acts as light pollution reducing your SNR.  Good for practice or setting up new kit. 

okey thanks, I forgot to add that I choosed a cluster of stars instead to shoot tonight, is it a waste of time to do this too?

1 hour ago, MilwaukeeLion said:

As mentioned good night for getting spacing - kit in working order.  Wish I had clear night coming up, have flattener spacing tests to do.

That's just what I did tonight, im trying to get my spacing and collimatiion just right. 

• Like 1

Full Moon=Do Moon to me. You lucky, I only had degrees to work with & 98% cloud cover. I had to shoot the 2020 Full Moon, through mess, picking open spots, maybe 10-15 sec available. In 4 hr, I had maybe a few minutes worth of total seeing. I tend to neglect the Moon, since it's common but I'm making it a habit, to concentrate on our nearest moon-planet more, since it's, what we have readily available. 

On 11/01/2020 at 00:11, Calzune said:

shoot star clusters

Hi. Yes. Many may tell you narrowband only and others just don't bother. Here's what we did with a DSLR with full moon at the weekend. Don't put away your gear!

EDIT: good processing challenge with those gradients too;)

Edited by alacant

26 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi. Yes. Many may tell you narrowband only and others just don't bother. Here's what we did with a DSLR with full moon at the weekend. Don't put away your gear!

EDIT: good processing challenge with those gradients too;)

It's very possible to do so, but basically when you get to a certain level of imaging 'ability' (for want of a better word) the data really isnt good enough to use compared with data from a moonless night.