Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AZEQ6 rapid flashing power light

Longinthetooth

Hi everyone - I've hit an issue and hope for some guidance here. AZEQ6 power light now flashes rapidly, within seconds of power on. Handset says "Dec/Alt No response" but I can access the Utility menu where the voltage is reported as 13.8V as expected. I'm using a regulated mains power supply capable of delivering 4amps sustained, 6 amps max.  I had a look inside the mount cover plate and could see no obvious damage. The power connector looks and feels solid enough and I withdrew and reseated the connectors to the power block on the mobo. Retried starting up the mount but no change. I replaced the Skywatcher power cable with a beefier one but this hasn't helped either. Power supply issue or mobo? Can anyone suggest what I might try next to identify the problem?

Thanks

John B

IMG_20200106_201313455.jpg

IMG_20200109_132435078.jpg

IMG_20200109_133639079.jpg

IMG_20200109_133704190.jpg

One quick word of warning, be VERY careful of the mobo connectors, they are easily broken off, I know, to my pockets pain....

To eliminate the handset, which may be at fault, have you tried connecting the mount to your PC (if you have an appropriate adaptor\cable) & trying to drive it directly, with one of the myriad applications available ??

• Like 1

Hi Julian and thanks for your input. I always control from a laptop via eqmod and my first inkling that something was amiss was being unable to connect to the mount - it was timing out. Then I saw the flashing light on the mount. I connected via the handset to check the voltage and see if I could get the mount to move using the direcxtion buttons - it doesn't.

You need to check the solder side of the power connectors & the on-board regulator and their associated components....  so in the first instance, undo the 4 screws securing the mobo, leaving everything connected & carefully raising the board to give it a good inspection...

• Like 1

If you have a multimeter\voltmeter then check the voltages on the power connector pins (big 4-way Molex), also around the regulator, that is just behind the Molex connector. 

I had one blow on me when a wet spiders web in the st4 port shorted, hence I now keep a dummy plug in the socket to stop a re-occurrence...

• Like 1

Thanks again Julian for that suggestion. I'll check that. There was no evidence of spiders that I could see.....😉   I hope I can recognise the regulator!

Ouroboros - unfortunately I don't have an suitable alternative power supply at the moment but that had crossed my mind. I have a 12v supply @5amps but it has a DC plug end rather than the Skywatcher connector or cigar outlet. 12v may be a bit low anyway, the mount likes 13.8v. I really need to get hold of something suitable.

Edited by Longinthetooth
posted in error

The mount is permanently set up in an observatory (hut) which, being in the middle of my garden, isn't accessible to vehicles. It'll be a pain to have to dismantle and set it up again but I suppose that's just what most folk have to do every time they want to observe! It's such a boon having a permanent set up!

First I'll check the voltages on the mobo. I can see how to check the power at the molex but can't find any info to locate the regulator. Could you describe its position in more detail? If the voltages are ok I'll then try the car trick.

Thanks again for your help!

JB

Good luck, @Longinthetooth.  I used to power my AZEQ6 with a Maplin power pack which though nominally rated at 12v, it gave enough current to power the mount.  If the power pack dropped below a certain power level, the mount would exhibit the sort of bahaviour you have described. It's a pity you haven't got a suitable battery to try, or a friendly neighbour who has one. Mine was sold as an emergency car jumper, but included a 12v output socket into which the cable supplied with the mount fitted. They're quite common. 

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 1

Hi John,

You'll need to check the on-board voltages, but what happens when you try & drive the mount directly using your PC, by passing the hand controller ?   If you use the "EQAscom Toolbox" you should be able to drive the mount directly.

• Like 1

On 12 January 2020 at 12:41, Longinthetooth said:

I've now tried the mount with the 12v supply from my car and sad to say I still have the rapid flashing power light. 🤔

Does this rule out a power supply issue altogether narrowing the issue down to the electronics in the mount?

JB

Not necessarily. I notice on pages 16 and 17 of my AZ-EQ6 manual there is some information about the flashing light. Maybe you've read this already. Slow flashing means voltage is a bit low and fast flashing means very low. I'd copy and paste but my iPad doesn't want to do that for some reason. Odd though that your hand set shows 13.8V.  I think I'd still want to try a supply  that I knew was a good beefy 12-15V.  I power mine with a regulated supply of 13.8V or, as I said earlier, a battery power pack with an output voltage anywhere between 12 and 15V. 

• Like 1

Hi Julian - I can't connect my laptop to the mount - it times out, presumably due to this issue. I always use EQmod for control.

Merlin66 and Ouroboros - I'm still concerned my mains regulated power supply may contribute to the issue - I'm thinking to replace it now anyway. 

I've now contacted Altair Astro who supplied the mount and they've ordered me a new mobo. Unfortunately the supplier is currently out of stock so the saga continues.....

JB

• 2 weeks later...

Just to bring this to a close I've fitted a new motherboard and now have a steady red light. Connected to mount with EQMOD and able to slew etc. The new mobo adds a usb port to the faceplate - it's for AZEQ6Pro and the attachment points are in different place. However, there was a wiring diagram enclosed which made it simple to swap over. I've attached a photo in case anyone needs to do the same conversion. OVL assure me the motherboards are compatible, and the usb is a welcome addition. 

There's no obvious defect on the old board. It looks perfect but I guess there's an issue there somewhere. Is there a used/for parts/not working market at all for such electronics? Seems a waste to have it in a box or recycled.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

JB

img007.jpg

• Like 1

Glad you got it sorted.

Thank you for posting a closing post - all too often people post issues and a load of people with extensive knowledge pile in to assist, freely giving their valuable time and expertise then no more is heard which is quite rude but more importantly people with the same issue trawling through don't know if the issue was satisfactorily resolved.

So well done you!

• Like 2

Quite right Ouroboros. I got a new faceplate with the mobo.  I've not used it yet - and yet to find out all it can be used for!

Skipper Billy - I'm very grateful for all the assistance I receive here and I've received a lot! This is not my first enquiry nor will it be the last! This site is a fantastic resource and I'm pleased to be able, at last, to contribute!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 28/01/2020 at 14:43, Longinthetooth said:

Just to bring this to a close I've fitted a new motherboard and now have a steady red light. Connected to mount with EQMOD and able to slew etc. The new mobo adds a usb port to the faceplate - it's for AZEQ6Pro and the attachment points are in different place. However, there was a wiring diagram enclosed which made it simple to swap over. I've attached a photo in case anyone needs to do the same conversion. OVL assure me the motherboards are compatible, and the usb is a welcome addition. 

There's no obvious defect on the old board. It looks perfect but I guess there's an issue there somewhere. Is there a used/for parts/not working market at all for such electronics? Seems a waste to have it in a box or recycled.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

JB

img007.jpg

Hi I have the same problem, my Az eq6 is not working and who bought me the mount told me my motherboard is burned. Do you know what is the model of the motherboard? the old one is 20156? and the newone that you bought? is 20163? do you know the model? Was easy to rewiring? where you get it? thaks if you can help me.

image.png

image.png

image.png