Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Ever Astrophoto

TerryJ

Vey nice start Terry. Well done. An enjoyable write up as well.

For polar alignment, I had an EQ3-2 and struggled with the illumination of the reticle of the polar scope. It became quite a bit easier when I got a polar scope illuminator like this- https://www.tringastro.co.uk/sky-watcher-polar-illuminator-for-eq3-2eq5-mounts-7723-p.asp

15 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Lots of things are absolutely right so this is a great start.

The whole point of this game is that it takes a bit of learning. That's why it's worth doing...

Olly

Thanks for the kind words. I cant wait to get out again when the weather improves.

13 hours ago, Stargazer33 said:

That's a great start Terry! It's much better than my first images and my take on M42 which came later. 

Looks like you have a good signal to noise ratio (snr). Have a look at the YouTube video on applying a false luminance layer. It's shown in Photoshop, but gimp is so similar I'm sure it can be used for that too.

Thanks for the link, will try it out soon.

13 hours ago, Swoop1 said:

Vey nice start Terry. Well done. An enjoyable write up as well.

For polar alignment, I had an EQ3-2 and struggled with the illumination of the reticle of the polar scope. It became quite a bit easier when I got a polar scope illuminator like this- https://www.tringastro.co.uk/sky-watcher-polar-illuminator-for-eq3-2eq5-mounts-7723-p.asp

Thanks for this, now ordered.

• 4 weeks later...

As others have already stated a great start. The first images are always the best, now the fun starts.  Today we are blessed with a wide range of equipment and software to accommodate most user budgets, coupled with dedication and patience we all possess the opportunity to produce remarkable images from our own back yards.