Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Exactly What Mount Is This?

My friend's 2nd hand Meade 114 EQ1-B reflector has me confused about the exact type of mount it uses. 

The manual says EQ1-B. Is that an EQ1 or an EQ2, or something in between? 

Any thoughts? 

DSC_1919.JPG

DSC_1920.JPG

DSC_1921.JPG

DSC_1922.JPG

DSC_1923.JPG

Ya looks like eq1 which is really too small for that mount. 

In one of my YouTube videos I explain meade made versions of the 4500 model in the 80s and 90s for the big box store or Costco where it was same ota but with less quality items or mount like in this case, so those store could have a cheaper costing scope for their cosrtomers. 

Joejaguar 

19 minutes ago, joe aguiar said:

Ya looks like eq1 which is really too small for that mount. 

In one of my YouTube videos I explain meade made versions of the 4500 model in the 80s and 90s for the big box store or Costco where it was same ota but with less quality items or mount like in this case, so those store could have a cheaper costing scope for their cosrtomers. 

Joejaguar 

I saw that and that was my thoughts too. It came with a 25mm MA, 9mm MA and a cheapie plastic Barlow. 

Given that the telescope and mount are nearly 20 years old, I don't think it's worth spending a lot of money on it, except to upgrade the eyepieces (which we are doing with Plossls). 

It only cost £100 for the whole lot second hand, during the summer there. 

I have seen one or two variants of the EQ1 and EQ2 with several improvements, and this could be an improved EQ1. Doesn't really matter, I would say. The main thing is that in either case, the scope is under-mounted, so will wobble. I had a similar mount under a Bresser-branded 4.5" F=500 mm Newtonian. That was very wobbly, so I upgraded the tripod legs to hardwood (DIY job) , which helped a lot. Converting the scope to a mini-Dob helped a lot more. 

What would be the best option for this set up? Ditch the tripod and get something more robust? 

There's nothing wrong with the OTA, as far as I can tell. 

the mount is too small for that ota, maybe it be ok if it was the f/5 small version but not the long version

also the finderscope looks like 5x24 finder get a red dot finderscope

the focuser and ep look like 0.965 which is not good, only thing 2 thing to do here is change the focuser to a 1.25" then decent 1.25" plossl ep or just get a adptor 0.965 to 1.25 then decent 1.25" plossl ep

problem do that can get you a brand new scope with all those items already included

joejaguar

6 minutes ago, joe aguiar said:

the mount is too small for that ota, maybe it be ok if it was the f/5 small version but not the long version

also the finderscope looks like 5x24 finder get a red dot finderscope

the focuser and ep look like 0.965 which is not good, only thing 2 thing to do here is change the focuser to a 1.25" then decent 1.25" plossl ep or just get a adptor 0.965 to 1.25 then decent 1.25" plossl ep

problem do that can get you a brand new scope with all those items already included

joejaguar

It's a 1.25 inch, not those horrible sub one inch ones... 

Red dot finder is on the to do list. 

Do we need a new mount as well as tripod? 

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, merlin100 said:

ok that's great then, just point it up and enjoy

in that first pic the ep lens looks really small so that must the high power ep then

joe

Edited by joe aguiar

looks similar and different to the SW EQ2 that my 130 is mounted on, but has the same sort of arrangement on the RA so you could add an RA motor to aid tracking if you decide to stay with it. I guess you could get an EQ2/3 to make it more stable if it turns out to be too wobbly in use, but since its already bought give it a whirl as-is and see how it performs then decide what's best to do. 

If it used std 1.25-inch eyepieces then no harm in buying a couple better ones and barlow as you can always use these on other scopes, since most supplied ones aren't all that good anyway. If its the smaller size then they're hard to obtain at a decent quality nowadays tho you can sometimes find the odd S/H one and build a collection over time. I'd agree re the finder tho, a red-dot one would make it a lot easier to use.

40 minutes ago, joe aguiar said:

ok that's great then, just point it up and enjoy

in that first pic the ep lens looks really small so that must the high power ep then

joe

That's a lid off of a 35mm film canister. It's to keep dust out of the focusing tube. 😂

I need a better camera! 😱

Screenshot_20200103-183248.png

Edited by Guest

Since u got just use and see how it goes it might only be an issue more in the high power range or days with a breaze

37 minutes ago, merlin100 said:

On the left is the 35mm film canister cap. On the right is a Meade MA9mm eyepiece. 😉

They do actually look very similar! 🤔

DSC_1924.JPG

DSC_1925.JPG

Haha well u got me then Joejaguar 

2 hours ago, merlin100 said:

Do we need a new mount as well as tripod? 

That kit, I believe, was sold there in the UK.  This is the manual for the "Jupiter"; the same telescope(in black) and mount(EQ-1B)...

Meade 114-900 EQ-1 Jupiter.pdf

That kit was sold in the U.S., and both kits around the year 2000 or so.

I have an EQ-1 as well, along with an EQ-2 and an EQ-3.  With the EQ-1, you can throw the RA-axis back, to 90°, until its butt rests upon the latitude bolt, shown there at left...

244570238_alt-azimuthmode3.jpg.dd80f4740c7153e761712f5a527c51ec.jpg

...then to secure the position with the clamp on the side of the mount.  There is what is now your alt-azimuth mount.

You would use the counterweight still, to balance, and the slow-motion controls will function in that alt-azimuthal mode as well.  It's not permanent, as you can switch back and forth between the modes most easily.

If you'd like a dedicated alt-azimuth... https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/explore-scientific-twilight-i.html#SID=568

If you'd prefer an equatorial... https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq5-deluxe.html

In that, I did not suggest an EQ-3, for the best EQ-3 is an EQ-5.

One more thing, the mount has been around the block, so to speak.  You might want to freshen it up a bit...

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/331121-the-exquisite-and-venerable-eq-1/

Simply glean from that what you will, and in enabling the mount to perform at its very best.

EDIT: I got to looking at the image of your mount-head, and actually it appears new, unused.  Still, the lubricant applied to the parts at the factory may have solidified somewhat.  If you have problems with stiffness and binding during the motions of the various components, then you might want to take the head apart, clean, and re-grease with a quality grease.  I use Super Lube for my mounts.

Edited by Alan64

55 minutes ago, Alan64 said:

One more thing, the mount has been around the block, so to speak.  You might want to freshen it up a bit...

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/331121-the-exquisite-and-venerable-eq-1/

Simply glean from that what you will, and in enabling the mount to perform at its very best.

EDIT: I got to looking at the image of your mount-head, and actually it appears new, unused.  Still, the lubricant applied to the parts at the factory may have solidified somewhat.  If you have problems with stiffness and binding during the motions of the various components, then you might want to take the head apart, clean, and re-grease with a quality grease.  I use Super Lube for my mounts.

It was a bit sticky, but I managed to loosen up the movement. I don't think it had seen much use, to be honest.

16 minutes ago, merlin100 said:

It was a bit sticky, but I managed to loosen up the movement. I don't think it had seen much use, to be honest.

This is the type of grease that is applied to these mounts, at the factories there in China...

1679849654_factorygrease.jpg.53e5cbe2f037f8a76ebbf37472c92d01.jpg

That's from my EQ-3 mount.  I call it "glue-grease", as it's rather thick, and may become even thicker as it ages; clumpy and all.  This is Super Lube applied onto a part from my EQ-2...

1086007227_thrust-bearingring2.jpg.247e39732d3a8b7276aefc3182005636.jpg

Note how it glistens.  It's applied sparingly, not ladled on like that within the first image.  I use a small hog's-hair brush to apply it.  A small, inexpensive tube of Super Lube would last, I dare say, forever and a day.

Edited by Alan64

Now, I have a current Meade 114mm f/8 kit, but it came with an EQ-2 mount...

kit4c.jpg.9947064ce09bf73436ea0f23916ad795.jpg

That's the way they appear nowadays.  The telescope is first-rate, and just as your own I'm sure.  Back in the early 1990s, here in the U.S., Meade and its vendors offered the Meade 4500, which also came with an EQ2-class mount...

bNTCW5x.jpg

That mount, I feel, is a bit more robust over my modern one, and to where I wish I had that one instead; oh well, lost in time it is.

Edited by Alan64

14 minutes ago, Alan64 said:

Now, I have a current Meade 114mm f/8 kit, but it came with an EQ-2 mount...

kit4c.jpg.9947064ce09bf73436ea0f23916ad795.jpg

That's the way they appear nowadays.  The telescope is first-rate, and just as your own I'm sure.  Back in the early 1990s, here in the U.S., Meade and its vendors offered the Meade 4500, which also came with an EQ2-class mount...

bNTCW5x.jpg

That mount, I feel, is a bit more robust over my modern one, and to where I wish I had that one instead; oh well, lost in time it is.

I'd love to fit a motor drive to the mount, but the slow motion cables don't have the modern 'D' shaped fitting thumb screw.  I'm thinking of making an adaptor from a piece of aluminium tubing.

DSC-1812.jpg

DSC-1813.jpg

DSC-1814.jpg

10 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

the RA motor drives that large silver wheel 🙂

True, but it's trying to get one to fit such an old mount. I've been told all the modern ones won't fit, so would have to be an old second hand one (rare?).

not sure which would fit in what's available new, looks a similar arrangement to my EQ2 the motor gear engages to the large wheel and the motor slots onto the silver bush to the left of the lever, spring adds the tension to keep it engaged. That lever with the part-disc acts as a stand-off for when you want the motor disengaged. So might be a current EQ1/2 motor may work but I'm not qualified to say for sure. Will see if I can get a pic of the EQ2 with motor later if that helps.

8 minutes ago, merlin100 said:

True, but it's trying to get one to fit such an old mount. I've been told all the modern ones won't fit, so would have to be an old second hand one (rare?).

A new one exists, but at the moment I can't think of where I had seen it, and some months ago.  It's a bit more costly than the following...

This is the side view of my EQ-1.  The modern, 9V-battery motor-drive, of which I have one, its bracket attaches here...

3g.jpg.7b85f8199229d5cb396538c1c05f7d9d.jpg

That's the side opposite of the small wheel and clutch found on your own.  The drive-kit also came with a bracket for an EQ-2 which differs from the other somewhat.

My EQ-2 comes with that small wheel and clutch...

1846207136_oldmotorconnection.jpg.3cdea5e563ec00c3b1e13fa667e998d5.jpg

...but the modern 9V motor-drive attaches here on the other side...

239029491_motor-drivebracket.jpg.dce61624c888571b1cfdd824636d6be1.jpg

Perhaps that might help in determining a solution.

There is one thing however: the RA-axis and the RA-axis' worm-assembly must motion and rotate butter-smooth and freely, with no binding or slop whatsoever.  Else, the motor-drive and the gears within its gear-case can be damaged.  In the end, without the telescope and the counterweight attached, you must be able to twist the worm-shaft with your fingers, and with relative ease...

580327472_twisthere.jpg.a08c10158705a46702714c60b2470340.jpg

• Like 1