NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Question on the EQ1

hi Neil,

is that with the OTA mounted? Does it move freely with the OTA off the mount?

also worth checking if the lock levers are what's causing it to get stuck as they may be impacting the body as you rotate the mount. These can usually be sorted by removing the screw and turning the lever so it clears and then refit the screw.

I only have EQ2 and EQ5's and so long as there's clearance so you're not hitting the tripod they'll rotate fully with no problem, but hopefully someone who has the EQ1 will be along soon with a more informed view :) 

Edited by DaveL59

Hi Neil.

Have you tried the mount in daylight as suggested by DaveL59?

Without the scope on the mount, you should be able to point anywhere at all in the sky - using both axis controls.

When you add a scope, you may have to turn the scope through odd angles to avoid the tube hitting the mount or tripod on the way around.

It can take a bit to get your head around an EQ mount - hence the daylight question.
It is much easier to work out things in the warm house in daylight.

HTH David.

Hi guys it was me lol , I just could not get my head to work it out I watched video and read the right up I was linked to and now in the day light got it to look South , it's looks strange as the weight is level or above the telescope a little and telescope ends up lower than when I started, but if that sounds right to you guys then I go with that

Edited by Neil H
  • Like 1

yep that's pretty much how an EQ mount works. You can rotate the OTA to get the focuser back to a position that's comfortable to use by loosening the ring clamps and turning the tube, just take care not to get the rings to release and you find the OTA leaps out onto the floor ;) For a refractor you can usually just reposition the diagonal to get back to a usable angle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neil H said:

it's looks strange as the weight is level or above the telescope a little and telescope ends up lower than when I started, but if that sounds right to you guys then I go with that

Hi Neil, yes, that is pretty much it, as the mount is pointing north you have to do what is commonly called a 'meridian flip' to look south, and if it is a reflector the eyepiece and focuser are now upside down and you then have to rotate the OTA to a comfortable position - one of the reasons I prefer AZ mounts.