NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Bicolour Attempt with DSLR- NGC6960 Veil

Grimbles

Hi Everyone

I have posted a couple of iterations of this work in progress, a Ha only version and a HaRGB.

I had an early Christmas present of a 2" Baader 8nm Oiii filter which I managed to try for a little over an hour between the almost non stop wind and rain.  Of course once I had the data, albeit nowhere near enough, I had to have a go at my first bi-colour.

Captured with 500d, 150pds, PHD, BYEOS, HEQ5

9 x 600s Oiii

29 x 600s Ha

6 x 900s Ha

Flats for each and Bias , no darks as dithered in BYEOS

Processed in photoshop and PI LE, using a bi-colour HOO false green method as described by a few people including Travis Rector, Steve Cannistra, and Ken Crawford .

I have also include the Ha and Oiii component images.  Oiii was generated using both blue and green channels.

Any comments or tips on how to improve this more than welcome.

Thanks

Martin

Bicolour

580879571_VeilHOOSynthGreen2.thumb.jpg.fb2ac6db39d00dad49ebfae9797732a5.jpg

Oiii

1804082741_OiiiBGChan.thumb.jpg.3bc01257c8b598e64551eec487bd5c39.jpg

Ha

1624442839_VeilHaRCh.thumb.jpg.98d4aefa90740e185db4fed1b12b7280.jpg

Edited by Grimbles
  • Like 12

Very nice and as Olly says a nice colour for the Oiii…   the thing that will improve it is more integration time on Oiii to improve the SNR and allow you to stretch it more. If the weather plays fair there's still time to get it if you can start early enough and avoid the moon and I think if you got another 3 hours you'd see a significant improvement .  

Dave

• Thanks 1

Wow! 
that’s great! 
I own a 500d and I find it a bit noisy compared to the 450, 650 and 6d 

I’m really impressed with what you’ve managed to achieve here!

like Dave says, add more data if the weather allows, I’d love to see this develop! 

thanks for sharing 

Bryan

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, assouptro said:

Wow! 
that’s great! 
I own a 500d and I find it a bit noisy compared to the 450, 650 and 6d 

I’m really impressed with what you’ve managed to achieve here!

like Dave says, add more data if the weather allows, I’d love to see this develop! 

thanks for sharing 

Bryan

Hi Bryan

Thank you, hopefully i will get more data before it disappears. 

I had a modded 450d as well and didn't really notice a difference in noise, i used an iso of 800 on the 450d , the optimum on the 500d seems to be 1600.

Obviously they have different processors, DIGIC III vs DIGIC 4, i am not sure how much difference that makes if any.

I use several methods for noise reduction, but always do at least one pass of 'Dfine 2' from the Nik Collection plugin for Photoshop, with a setting of between 25 - 50% . I find it works very well .

Martin

• Like 1