Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is my polar scope fitted correctly?

Yes that’s it - your starting point needs to be correct if your end point is to be correct. the red cross won’t move when you rotate RA, but if it’s in the wrong position to start with then it will always be in the wrong position. 

in the example the dodgy reticle red cross is aligned to a position to the left of the pole, not the right  - have another look 😊

Think of the reticle as a wheel you can roll along the ground. In the right hand image below, the 6 is in contact with the ground. If I roll the wheel to the left so that the Polaris yellow cross is in contact with the ground and the broken line is vertical - i.e. it’s moved to the position in the left hand image below - then the central red cross will have moved to the left. 

6808E098-8518-46CC-A226-8976E42D7718.jpeg

Edited by jif001
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Can I ask a rather dumb question.  With all the machinations that people seem to go through with trying to figure out why the Skywatcher polar scope reticle is basically upside down and with a horizontal axis that isn't parallel with the horizon.  Why doesn't Skywatcher align it correctly at the factory?  

And update their horrendous polar alignment section in their manual, getting a writer who can write English as a first language and revise it for a beginner?  

And why don't they have a couple arrows on the mount to show the home position? 

Am I missing something?  This discussion seems to arise out of a reticle that is confusing from the outset and a manual that is outdated and isn't written well at all.   

My two cents.   

Edited by JIm19130

Not sure there is a problem:

1. Get the Polar Angle - I use PS Align Pro App e.g. a value of 03:01 on a clock;
  2. Align the Decl. Axis so that you can see through the polar scope;
  3. Rotate the RA Axis so that the clock is EXACTLY 0 up;
  4. Adjust position of Polaris to be (on "2020 ring") in the middle circle at 03:01 e.g. on the RHS in the Polar Scope.

NB If you have set the location and time/date correctly set then the Hand Controller will also show the same clock setting e.g. 03:01.

There is no requirement for the clock to be at 0 if 3, 6 or 9 happens to be more convenient e.g. 03:01 is still on the RHS.

If it helps, you can ignore the 0, 3, 6, 9 - like many watches/clocks, you don't need the "numbers" to know the time.

You can verify that it's correct by using an App like Sky Safari. For the same location and time/date and facing North, look at the NCP.

Providing you have the view "reversed", you will see that Polaris is indeed at 03:01 on a clock.

The image you see in the Polar Scope is also "reversed" as you would expect in a Refractor (no diagonal).

Simon

Edited by SimM

8 hours ago, JIm19130 said:

With all the machinations that people seem to go through with trying to figure out why the Skywatcher polar scope reticle is basically upside down and with a horizontal axis that isn't parallel with the horizon.  Why doesn't Skywatcher align it correctly at the factory?  

Agreed it would have been a nice to have if it was setup so that 0 is on top when counterweight arm is pointed downwards.  But as its a clock face on the reticle, you just need to rotate the mount in RA axis until the 0 is on top, hence you could say there is no right side up.. Simples 🙂

The main alignment that one needs to need to worry about is whether the reticle is centred. If this is not the case then the focussed object will wobble around the reticle when you rotate the mount in RA axis.

Totally agree about the poor English and confusion created by not having the updated reticle diagram in the manual. I  had to trawl around to find the new version.

Try removing the eyepiece from the polarscope when you have the mount laying on a couch or bed. You will see a piece of glass in the polarscope housing that can be rotated when you loosen the 3 hex screws slightly.  Beware that calibration is needed afterwards

Edited by Robindonne

18 hours ago, SimM said:

Not sure there is a problem:

1. Get the Polar Angle - I use PS Align Pro App e.g. a value of 03:01 on a clock;
  2. Align the Decl. Axis so that you can see through the polar scope;
  3. Rotate the RA Axis so that the clock is 12 up;
  4. Adjust position of Polaris to be (on "2020 ring") in the middle circle at 03:01 e.g. on the RHS in the Polar  Scope

The problem is point 3 - the word ‘up’ is very subjective. As you say, it doesn’t matter what number is in the ‘12 o’clock’ position, but it does matter that the number you choose to put there is EXACTLY in the ‘12 o’clock’ position if you want accurate polar alignment. 

It doesn’t matter for visual but it does for imaging. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jif001 said:

The problem is point 3 - the word ‘up’ is very subjective. As you say, it doesn’t matter what number is in the ‘12 o’clock’ position, but it does matter that the number you choose to put there is EXACTLY in the ‘12 o’clock’ position if you want accurate polar alignment.  

Agreed. I changed the wording to say EXACTLY 0 up.

The PS Align Pro App has a tip for setting up the polar scope. They suggest using the side of a building to set the up/down EXACTLY vertical e.g. with the tripod levelled. Move the RA until the selected quadrant Is moving up/down a vertical “reference” e.g. a side/corner of a building.

On my EQ6-R Pro there are two locks on the RA axis which allow the RA setting circle to be locked e.g. at 0 against the pointer on the LHS of the mount below the handle. Later on the mount can be setup and set EXACTLY back to zero.

This works only because the RA setting circle is locked to the internals of the mount. If the RA is driven by the HC it doesn’t track RA movement. You might expect the RA setting circle to reflect changes in RA in all cases. On the HEQ5 PRO, the lock was on the mount so the setting circle could be locked, but it didn’t track RA movement either manually or when driven, so YMMV.

Simon

Edited by SimM

I really don't understand why SkyWatcher doesn't just install it "upright" in factory, like other manufacturers do, since they seem to align it anyway. I have edited those instructions on Polar Scope Align quite a few times, but I still get questions from confused people :( 

12 hours ago, ecuador said:

I have edited those instructions on Polar Scope Align quite a few times, but I still get questions from confused people

Thats partly because when they search for this topic they end up reading a confusing set of well meaning 'helpful' answers from various folk with their own interpretations and experience. And to make matters worse the SW manual for HEQ5 is rubbish and doesnt even match with the new reticle. Having said that the EQ6-R manual describes the new reticle.

Edited by AstroMuni

1 hour ago, AstroMuni said:

Thats partly because when they search for this topic they end up reading a confusing set of well meaning 'helpful' answers from various folk with their own interpretations and experience. And to make matters worse the SW manual for HEQ5 is rubbish and doesnt even match with the new reticle. Having said that the EQ6-R manual describes the new reticle.

No, I was talking about the in-app help of the app Polar Scope Align specifically. I get questions from people confused even after reading it, and the rotation of the Skywatcher reticle is one of the most common questions, so I have tried to clarify the instructions a few times, but I am still not making it clear it seems :( It's not that easy to describe it, and Skywatcher could fix that aspect so easily, other manufacturers manage it fine.

You are right about the SW manual though, my app users read my instructions AND the SW manual and that probably does more harm than good.

Edited by ecuador