Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Duel axis motors

I prefer dual axis drives to the goto

It's easy to put on and they have slip nuts so u can also use the regular slow motion controls at the same time.

I have now twice turned a meade lxd75 mount into a manual mount and put the dual axis drives.  

If all u need is tracking and bot goto then ya go for it.

Me being  in hobby since 90s can just polar align in like 60 sec the swing scope to my object then view. Goto may take 5 to 10 min for a brand new person and that's if its successful. Not to mention goto mounts are double the cost of the same manual mount. Plus u know how many times I read the goto fail maybe hand controller messes up or something wrong with motors. 

Remember too anything computer or electronic will lose alot money once it gets outdated or next version  comes out 

Joejaguar 

• Thanks 1

I fitted a pair to my EQ5 for visual tracking, and then ventured into astrophotography. 

At this point I discovered Tom Carpenter's AstroEQ.  This cost about the same amount, all told, but gave fast slewing, goto and much more accurate tracking and guiding.  If you are into a bit of fabrication of brackets and some soldering, the AstroEQ can probably be done cheaper than the Skywatcher motor upgrade.  

• Thanks 1

I have the Skywatcher Enhanced EQ5 dual axis drive fitted to my Vixen GP mount. Straightforward to fit and does just what it says on the tin. The batteries seem to last for quite a few sessions. I don't image though, just a visual observer.

• Thanks 1

This kit is very similiar to the one that cames with my Celestron C8 with EQ5 mount . It does good for tracking with good polar alignment but not accurate for astrophotography . If i used my DSLR for piggyback i usually could get maybe 1-2 mins of not great but decent images . If i attached at PF  i could do moon and planet shots which were just seconds long . For deep space i had to use a OAG  and glue my eye to the EP with controller in hand . This kit is not a GoTo kit . To slew you have to unlock both axes and center your object then lock axes and use controller to center object . Also I can’t be positive but I don’t think the gears on that mount can handle slewing from a GoTo system . I maybe wrong but i doubt it . But if all your going to do is view and you like finding objects on your own like i do then this mount is a excellent mount !! But it works best to take time and polar align the best you can . I use a 12mm illuminated reticle for polar alignment so i can watch how much stars drift to correct star drift . After that it’s a fun night of viewing and makes imaging alot easier to do !! 

• Thanks 1

The main additional features that the enhanced drive set has is a 16x max slew speed and for imagers an autoguider port on the control handset.

Skywatcher also do the enhanced kit for the EQ3-2 mount - I've realised that you did not specify the mount that is involved.

• Thanks 1