NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sh2-224 supernova remnant in Auriga, HaRGB

gorann

SH2-224 is a supernova remnant in the constellation Auriga, a remnant of an exploded star about 15,000 light years away. The nebula does not appear to have a proper name. Flying Bat nebula could be a good one, or Flying Cat nebula, or something more ghostly.

This is data from Saturday night with the double Esprit rig. Esprit 150 with 0,79 x reducer and ASI071 for RGB (34 x 10 min) and Esprit 100 with ASI1600MM for Ha (48 x 10 min).  Sitting on my Mesu 200. Processed in in PI and PS.

In the RGB data there is not even a hint of the nebula, so this one is very very faint. I also post the RGB image. Would be cool do an image where you can flip between the two, but have no idea how to do it.

Last image from Sweden for a while since I am off to Australia for a month. Will bring a travel scope.

Comments & suggestions most welcome!

20191130 Sh2-224 RGB NyPS26SmallSign.jpg

20191130 Sh2-224 RGB NyPS7(big stars from PS5)_r.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, blinky said:

Yeah deffo see that - The Star Destroyer Nebula it is then!

Two votes now! I have to admit that I had to google Star Destroyer - always been more of a fan of 2001 than Star Wars (after all there is no sound in space), but I can see the resemblance.

1 hour ago, don4l said:

Nice one Gorann.  I was wondering if this was worth imaging, it's definitely on my list now.

Thanks Don - good luck and spend many hours on it, There is also some Oiii there that I had no time to capture.

Edited by gorann