Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 281 - The Eye of Sauron...

Hallingskies

I managed to grab some OIII data (12 x 600s, Atik 460, Esprit 100) last night, to add to my earlier Ha data before my auto-guiding packed up and starting taking occasional but random 12" excursions.  Really don't know what is going on there and I am starting to despair at it all - I'm no techie and with the weather we've been having, I feel like packing it all in!

Still, I was pleased with the final result.  Might be the last one for a while...

spacer.png

I went a bit wild with the colour saturation.  Not quite sure where the yellow came from in the end, but it looks pretty.  I was using various Ha and OIII combinations for a green channel and it just dropped in to say hello - unfortunately I didn't record what I did and can't replicate it! ...

• Like 20

2 hours ago, Jkulin said:

Hi, I think you'll find this is The Packman Nebula - NGC281, the Eye of Sauron is the Helix Nebula as per this link: -

https://www.astrobin.com/378608/E/?nc=user

I don’t care for the “Pacman” moniker so I gave it my own!  I then found that “Eye of Sauron” is actually a colloquialism attached to a rather dim galaxy NGC 4151 in Canes Venatici.   My blog (see signature) explains all.  I was aware of it being used for the Helix - but the Helix is an appropriate and long-standing nickname and not many folk know of its other labels.

Edited by Hallingskies
typo

Superb image, why would you even think of packing it in when you produce goodies like this? I know, just frustration speaking. Great blog post BTW and enjoyed a quick trip through a few of the many other superb images on your website. Cheers, Geof

That’s a fantastic image but Im really curious as to why you are so disgruntled with the pacman name? I read your blog there and you clearly aren’t happy about the PacMan name!

The eye of Sauron? That’s a bit more niche and even more naff lol

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

That’s a fantastic image but Im really curious as to why you are so disgruntled with the pacman name? I read your blog there and you clearly aren’t happy about the PacMan name!

The eye of Sauron? That’s a bit more niche and even more naff lol

Each to their own.  I just think naming a deep sky wonder after a naff eighties computer game is a bit déclassé.  It deserves something more dramatic.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, geoflewis said:

Superb image, why would you even think of packing it in when you produce goodies like this? I know, just frustration speaking. Great blog post BTW and enjoyed a quick trip through a few of the many other superb images on your website. Cheers, Geof

Thanks.  I think old age and IT woes are getting to me.  Why doesn’t stuff just work?!

• Like 1

Despite your guiding problems it has come out very nicely.  To my eye the background has a slight green bias which is easily fixed.

The guiding issue may well have been due to a hot pixel or another star in the guide frame.  The software can intermittently take a liking to the rogue bright point and severely mess things up.

11 hours ago, MartinB said:

Despite your guiding problems it has come out very nicely.  To my eye the background has a slight green bias which is easily fixed.

The guiding issue may well have been due to a hot pixel or another star in the guide frame.  The software can intermittently take a liking to the rogue bright point and severely mess things up.

I think the guiding problems were down to my old Vista laptop not liking my new WiFi range extender.  It seemed to hang for a few seconds every now and then and this appeared to throw the guiding.  When I disconnected it for a later session, that seemed to stop the hanging and the wild swings, although guiding still wasn’t brilliant.  Think I will have to run some Cat6 down if I want to use Remote Desktop.

20 hours ago, Hallingskies said:

Each to their own.  I just think naming a deep sky wonder after a naff eighties computer game is a bit déclassé.  It deserves something more dramatic.

I think you are on very much on your own on this one 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1