Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M45 LRGB

tooth_dr

LRGB image from the past couple of weeks.  The camera was changed and scope was moved between exposures - the downside to a reflector :( Had to crop it a bit too.

It's looking like rain for a few days, I just want to practice on this data.

I'll need to address the star sizes soon ( I keep ignoring them) if I want to progress in this hobby, but even getting a decent RGB combo was an achievement for me.  Looks a bit soft.  Adding Lum to RGB I'm struggling again.

I had a lot of luminance but limited colour data.

RGB was 5 x 300s per channel.

A small 2 x 2 panel mosaic was really do this target justice.

Comments welcome

Adam.

M45.jpg

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 25

I like the understated colours Adam - just a hint of blue and realistic coloured stars. Very nice.

This is a target I have shied away from so far cos' I'm sure I will never do it justice.

One day - maybe.

Adrian

Edited by Adreneline
Typo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Adreneline said:

I like the understated colours Adam - just a hint of blue and realistic coloured stars. Very nice.

This is a target I have shied away from so far cos' I'm sure I will never do it justice.

One day - maybe.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. I’m never sure how far to push the colour saturation, it’s hard to find that balance. 

9 hours ago, Jkulin said:

Adam that is really lovely.

What camera are you now using for these latest images with the Epsilon

Thanks John.  I just bought an Atik EFW3, so I figured it was just make more sense to use the Atik 383L.  I've it spaced to perfection now so I wont be touching it!!

31 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks John.  I just bought an Atik EFW3, so I figured it was just make more sense to use the Atik 383L.  I've it spaced to perfection now so I wont be touching it!!

So with the EFW3 and the 383 you can get a backfocus of 55mm? Are you not using an OAG? As that was why I changed from Atik as I wanted to use an OAG and Atiks FW was too thick?

6 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

So with the EFW3 and the 383 you can get a backfocus of 55mm? Are you not using an OAG? As that was why I changed from Atik as I wanted to use an OAG and Atiks FW was too thick?

Hi John.  With the Tak I'm after a backfocus of 56mm (+0.7mm to account for the filter thickness).  This was achieved with some spare space, so I ended up needing a spacer.  The thickness of the EFW3 is 21.8mm and the backfocus of the camera is 17.5mm, this gave me 39.3mm.  So I had roughly 17.5mm to fill in using an M54-M54 adapter, and an M42-M54 adapter.

Lovely. Personally I'm a strong colour enthusiast but this often gets me reprimanded on the French forum, though I seem to get away with it here!

What's the LRGB issue? When you have strong luminance it can easily dilute out the colour. In Photoshop I address this by adding only a low opacity of luminance, increasing the colour saturation of the bottom RGB layer and then putting a slight blur into the top L layer before flattening and repeating the process. On the final, full opacity iteration of luminance addition I omit the blur.

Olly

This is a very fine idea.  I'd stick with getting it wrong if I were you!

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Lovely. Personally I'm a strong colour enthusiast but this often gets me reprimanded on the French forum, though I seem to get away with it here!

I don't think you get away with anything here Olly.  There is no correct level of saturation, or artefact free sharpening/noise reduction come to that.  May be the "group think" is a little more accommodating and less puritanical on here.

• Like 1