NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC7331 Deer Lick Group - reprocessed

gorann

November in Sweden means clouds, clouds, and more clouds, so looking for data to reprocess. I had a conversation with Rodd on Astrobin about this reprocessed image just now and since even Rodd liked it I thought I post it also here on SGL.

This one is the first data I took in August with my new galaxy hunting set-up: a Meade 14" ACF on an EQ8. This set-up really materialised rather accidentally. About a year ago I decided to upgrade from my EQ8 to Mesu 200 in hope of getting better guiding. I then realized that my guiding was more determined by the sky conditions than my mount, and that it was not really the fault of the EQ8. At about the same time I found this used 14" SCT for sale on a local buy-and-sell site at a very good price and just a few miles from where I live. So, I thought, why not give it a try and put it on the EQ8 for some visual fun. The only "problem" was that I had to spend half the summer building a second obsy next to the old one to house the 14" SCT and the EQ8. But I thought why only have one obsy when you can have two (and it was defenitively not a probem for me that likes building stuff).

I did not have much confidence in getting the EQ8 performing at a FL of 3.55 meters. So I put a DSLR on it just to try it out, but to my astonishment  I had a guiding curve showing 0.4"/pixel RMS that night. So the RGB data here is from a Canon 60Da. Because it looked so good I put the ASI1600MM on it the next clear night and collected Lum, and this is the combined result. Total integration time was still only 5 hours since clouds condspired, but 14" of aperture helps.

20190827 NGC7331 PS76smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 17

9 hours ago, don4l said:

That is just superb.

8 hours ago, tomato said:

A brilliant result, you really have done a great job combining the data, and only 5 hrs luminance! Very, very impressive.👍

Thanks a lot guys, you are much too kind🍻

5 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

That really is very good! Splendid image scale.

Olly

Thanks for your kind words Olly! I did bin the ASI1600 data 2x2.

Edited by gorann