NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Alt-Azimuth Mount: Update

John

Just a quick update on the Rowan AZ100 mount. You will, recall that @Stu and myself now have pre-production units of this mount for testing.

Trials that I have done and that Dave Rose has done at Rowan Astronomy (both using 130mm refractors as it happens) have showed the AZ100 to be a really sturdy and well engineered mount capable of dealing with large, heavy optical tubes and long ones as well. The motion of the mount is very smooth around both axes and the tension is highly adjustable using the tension knobs fitted to both altitude and azimuth.

The one area which we both felt could be improved was the motion of the axes when driven by the slow motion control cables, especially when the load is unevenly balanced. To this end Dave / Rowan Astronomy have modified the mount in two ways:

1. Damping knobs have been fitted to the azimuth and altitude axes which provide the ability to fine tune the mesh of the worm gears. The 2nd example of the mount that I have been sent has this modification and it has also now been applied to the one that @Stu has as well.

2. Improved worm bearings have been provided to @Stu and myself to replace the original ones. I have performed this straightforward upgrade on my mount and this has resulted in noticably better slow motion control around both axes. @Stu will be upgrading the bearings on his AZ100 on his return from holiday I believe.

I now need a clear night or two to test the modified head under the stars but I do have great hopes and expecations for it :icon_biggrin:

Dave Rose at Rowan Astronomy has been very responsive, helpful and a pleasure to work with.

Thanks again for your patience :icon_salut:

P1090348.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, johninderby said:

It’s like waiting for Xmas. 😁

Bit at least it is getting closer.

You could always make an AZ100 advent calendar, John. 

Different pic of a part of the mount behind each door.

But the BIG question is how many doors do you need?

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, John said:

2. Improved worm bearings have been provided to @Stu and myself to replace the original ones. I have performed this straightforward upgrade on my mount and this has resulted in noticably better slow motion control around both axes.

I thought you said you would not be taking it to bits, good to know the development is progressing though. Trying to hold off asking at least one question till you both get enough time to derive your conclusions :)

On 31/10/2019 at 17:23, omo said:

I thought you said you would not be taking it to bits, good to know the development is progressing though. Trying to hold off asking at least one question till you both get enough time to derive your conclusions :)

Sorry I missed this comment.

I was specifically asked to replace the worm bearings on both axes by Rowan Astronomy and followed their instructions when I did so. Otherwise I am resisting the temptation to tweak and adjust the mount. I don't want any of my ham fisted efforts to impact the performance one way or another !

While on the subject of performance, poor weather conditions have meant that I've simply not been able to get out and observe at all with the AZ100 over the past couple of weeks. In fact a quick dash out with binoculars is all that I've been able to do astronomy-wise generally :rolleyes2:

Just one good clear session of 2-3 hours would be great - I'm crossing my fingers and toes !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1