SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Morpheus eyepieces in fast refractors?

GlenM

Just wondered if anyone used the Morpheus line of eyepieces in fast refractors... F/5.5 to F/6.6? I have read Bill P's reviews, but nothing mentioned about fast F/5.5 systems. Looking at the 17.5mm first for widefield.

Thanks you,

Glen.

The 9mm Morpheus is just about the equal of the 10mm Delos at f/6 in my AT72ED refractor.  The difference is quite minimal.  The 14mm has some edge astigmatism and field curvature, but is otherwise quite similar to the 14mm Pentax XL.  Neither suffers from any sort of SAEP (kidney beaning).  They're a great set of lenses by all the reports and reviews I've read.

Here are two comparison shots I composed through the AT72E of my 13mm-15mm and 9mm/10mm eyepieces I did a few weeks back that include the two Morpheus I own.  I don't have the 17.5mm version, but I do have the 17mm ES-92 which is a fantastic eyepiece if you can stand the weight, price, and bulk and have a 2-inch focuser.  See below for those comparison shots.

565980763_13mm-15mm.thumb.JPG.a7049e257388b8f32c12d6baf78e6287.JPG2096241732_13mm-15mmAFOV.thumb.jpg.ce59f9618155df41ae5bb3608802606d.jpg

473084620_9mm-10mm.thumb.JPG.3d8f66abd0891380524009082edde233.JPG1349518648_9mm-10mmAFOV.thumb.jpg.bf8afac3fffc6c3a9109186a471c885f.jpg

1144537398_16.7mm-17mm.thumb.JPG.99fc052d434a2db183ca8a1657863a5a.JPG603176621_16.7mm-17mmAFOV.thumb.jpg.7e51409687e0d17f1e8f285885545d89.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GlenM said:

Just ordered the 17.5 from FLO.

Glen.

Hi Glen,

Hope you are keeping well☺?.

I really like the Morpheus range. I haven't any at the moment but once funds allow I  plan to get the almost the full range.

I have owned the 9,12.5, 14 and 17.5mm and really liked them all. For me the best was the 17.5, the "worst" (still much better than the Pentax XW equivalent) was the 14mm (some FC seen, but far less than the 14 XW, and a little lateral colour).

I haven't used the 4.5 and 6.5mm as yet, but have read good reports of them too.

With a superb 12.5mm in the range (think BGO 12.5mm with a 76deg fov!), I don't think the 14mm is actually necessary. 

Mine were used at F7 and F8.

Highly recommended👍.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Always nice to hear from you. Just getting over a bout of man-flu and us guys know how bad that can be 😉

Excellent news on the Morpheus line. Nothing but good reviews all the way. We will see how the 17.5 goes in my little fast refractors and go on from there. Th 12.5 sounds the business too.

Clear skies,

Glen.

• Like 1

Had about 3 hours with wonderful clear skies last night to try out the Morpheus. Everyone was right it is a stunning eyepiece. I particularly liked the neutral tone of the eyepiece. I also liked the M43 extender which really helped with the eye position. I assume the extender can be bought for the other Morpheus in the range? I was surprised just how well it worked with the Sharpstar 61 EDPH. At F/5.5 it's a steep light cone. I see other Morpheus coming this year. More money to FLO😀

Well impressed.

Glen.

• Like 3

I have the 17.5 and have used it in my f3.95 dob, works great! I have an ES coma corrector but I only tend to use it with an Ethos. Go for the Morpheus, don't think you will be disappointed. 

PS I see you did. I'd like to try some of the shorter focal lengths too. I have the 36mm aspheric, get on well with that too. 

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GlenM said:

Just wondered if I needed the m43 extender with the other eyepieces in the range?

Glen.

I have the 36mm aspheric, I don't use the extender with that but take my glasses off to view. I quite like the Baader eyepieces, lightweight, good views and relatively inexpensive. If I drop one someday and it gets damaged, I won't cry. Regarding weight, even my 13mm Ethos is like an engine block compared to the Baader 17.5.

• Like 1

I got the Baader Aspheric 36mm to use with a 150mm F/12 refractor that I had a couple of years back. It was a nice eyepiece at that focal ratio but I was rather dismayed when I tried it with my F/7.5 ED120 refractor to find quite extensive astigmatism in the outer 25% of the field of view.

On 27/10/2019 at 16:08, GlenM said:

Just wondered if I needed the m43 extender with the other eyepieces in the range?

Glen.

I think all the morpheus range now come with  the M43 extender to aid eye placement?  @FLO may be able to confirm?

• Like 1

I think Craig is correct Glen, the newer Morphs (sold since c January 2018) are all equipped with the much improved eyeguard and the new M43 extender.

Worth just checking, though, with the supplying dealer that this is the case..a few "new old stock" units (ie without the upgrades) might still be out there. FLO and other good dealers would, I'm sure, make sure you were told if this was the case.

You can buy these parts as retro fit accessories for earlier Morphs..https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-morpheus-rubbermetal-foldable-eyecup.html 

and 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baad_m43-extension_ring_2954250.html

HTH 👍

Dave

• Like 2

On the 4.5mm I don't use the extension ring. I use it with extended eyecup. The 4.5mm has the shortest eye relief.
On the 6.5mm I do use the ring and have the rubber eyecup folded down.
The 17.5mm I use with extension ring and the eyecup in the up position.

I find the holsters silly. They stay in their boxes with the Braille clips:
  capture_001_28102019_234033.png.5ac44c81a377e25ebf9125e5dd792168.png Does anyone use the holsters or clips?
In the pdf with the specs you can see that the eye relief of the 17.5 is the largest.
Oddly, the 17.5mm is the least bulky yet it is the heaviest of the lot.

morpheus_76_eyepiece_series_technical_data.pdf

Edited by Ruud
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, F15Rules said:

I think Craig is correct Glen, the newer Morphs (sold since c January 2018) are all equipped with the much improved eyeguard and the new M43 extender.

Worth just checking, though, with the supplying dealer that this is the case..a few "new old stock" units (ie without the upgrades) might still be out there. FLO and other good dealers would, I'm sure, make sure you were told if this was the case.

You can buy these parts as retro fit accessories for earlier Morphs..https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-morpheus-rubbermetal-foldable-eyecup.html 

and 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baad_m43-extension_ring_2954250.html

HTH 👍

Dave

Thanks, David. You were obviously right about the 17.5mm, it's a stunning performer for my widefield interests.

Glen.

• Like 1

On 28/10/2019 at 19:58, F15Rules said:

and 

HTH 👍

Dave

Yes, FLO got back to me and the 6.5mm does come with the M43 extender.

Glen.

• Like 1

On 28/10/2019 at 18:36, CraigT82 said:

I think all the morpheus range now come with  the M43 extender to aid eye placement?  @FLO may be able to confirm?

Yes, FLO got back to me on this question. Thank you.

Glen.

• Like 1