Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bird-Jones Problems?

39 minutes ago, Gottzi said:

Is Catadioptric not the same as Bird Jones?

Catadioptric means using a combination of mirrors and lenses, so I guess if something that looks like a Newt is described as Catadioptric then yes, it could be a Bird-jones but could also be a Schmidt-Newtonian although they have a front corrector plate so are easy to tell apart. Not sure if there are other design variants called by different names though.

44 minutes ago, Gottzi said:

Is Catadioptric not the same as Bird Jones?

Catadioptric is general term for all telescope designs using both mirrors and lens, or rather reflective and refractive elements (in base design - that means without eyepieces / barlows / detachable reducers / finders).

Other two basic designs are reflectors and refractors.

SCTs, Maksutovs (both Mak-Cass and Mak-Newt), and some other designs - like Bird Jones are all Catadioptric designs.

On 22/10/2019 at 13:28, mattjanes100 said:

Photos of mine attached. Does look like Bresser do a 150/700 version which would be the same scope without integrated Barlow. Seems I have misunderstood this to be bird-jones and it is in fact catadioptic?

IMG_20191022_192213.jpg

That one appears to be just as long as my 6" f/5 classical-Newtonian...

1461229486_6f5opticaltube.jpg.367e9f914e996b0cf54a43f39758f705.jpg

In the case of your own, the design was perhaps lengthened to minimise coma at least; and yes, spherical primary-mirrors do exhibit such.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, johninderby said:

The mounts look exactly the same there as far as I can tell! Is there any way to differentiate?

Thanks to everyone again for the responses, all really useful and informative.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mattjanes100 said:

The mounts look exactly the same there as far as I can tell! Is there any way to differentiate?

Thanks to everyone again for the responses, all really useful and informative.

Indeed it does.  I believe it to be an EQ3-class, and per Bresser's own website.