NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

William Optics Z73 Or Omegon 71mm Apo

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a new apochromatic refractor for widefield imaging. At the moment i'm set on the William Optics Z73, but then came across this: https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/omegon-apochromatic-refractor-pro-apo-ap-71-450-quadruplet-ota/p,60855. I've not heard of this brand before, does anyone here own this telescope or know about it? Price point looks great for what it is though. Any other recommendations for a widefield refractor to take into consideration? 

Cheers and clear skies,

James. 

The WO Z73 is a visual refractor, it has excellent colour correction but no built in field flattener. You need to buy one separately if you want to optimise it for photography.

The Omegon is an astrograph and looks like it might be better suited to your purpose. I don't know much about it though. I think it may be a re-branded SharpStar 71SDQ Quadruplet.

On 19/10/2019 at 00:01, Ruud said:

The WO Z73 is a visual refractor, it has excellent colour correction but no built in field flattener. You need to buy one separately if you want to optimise it for photography.

The Omegon is an astrograph and looks like it might be better suited to your purpose. I don't know much about it though. I think it may be a re-branded SharpStar 71SDQ Quadruplet.

My preferance would be for the Z73 I dont think that you really need more than a FPL53 doublet to get good results with a 73mm aperture at F6 and so being even slower the quad is a little redundant in my opinion.

You do know what your getting with William optics, as above there is not much point in a quad with a 71mm aperture and even slower than the Z73 while costing more and more to go wrong optically due to the complicated design than with a F6 doublet. The 86mm scope is much more attractive in that range but even then you have to go winder is it worth it over a Esprit 80. 

Makes no sense to me. 

Adam  

Edited by Adam J