Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Making flats led panel

msacco

That's the problem with switching dimmers, even going very fast will result in the led's strobing, or causing other effects as not all led's are the same....    Even using simpler voltage reduction dimmers, will at some point result in the led's 'dropping' out causing uneven illumination. 

That why I went for an EL panel, it just work with a constant flat illumination, that isn't too bright.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

That's the problem with switching dimmers, even going very fast will result in the led's strobing, or causing other effects as not all led's are the same....    Even using simpler voltage reduction dimmers, will at some point result in the led's 'dropping' out causing uneven illumination. 

That why I went for an EL panel, it just work with a constant flat illumination, that isn't too bright.

According to the gumf on mine the dimmer is flicker free due to some sort of electrickery :grin:

Dave

Just now, Dr_Ju_ju said:

rubbish, even using an RC network will not remove the effect, it may flatten it out, but not get rid of it.....

Well it was cheap and works so the proof of the pudding as they say :rolleyes:

Dave

I think l have the same light panel as Davey T.  It’s a tracing board from Ebay.  The light is in dots but with tracing paper over the screen it works just fine. Plugs into the laptop USB  and is dimmable .   I think it was about £12 or £15 about 2 years ago  

Carole

Edited by carastro

Well, 2nd try and the EL panel arrived today. Trying to test it so i can post here and hopefully help other decide but when using the flats aid in APT im wondering how many sheets of paper i will have to use to get a longish exposure as needed by the 294mc. currently 6 layers and still exposure time is .00055 i'm hoping for something closer to 3-4 seconds. Do i just keep stacking?

13 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Well, 2nd try and the EL panel arrived today. Trying to test it so i can post here and hopefully help other decide but when using the flats aid in APT im wondering how many sheets of paper i will have to use to get a longish exposure as needed by the 294mc. currently 6 layers and still exposure time is .00055 i'm hoping for something closer to 3-4 seconds. Do i just keep stacking?

Doh, turns out it doesn't matter how many sheets you use, if you're connected to the wrong camera thats pointing at the sky a whole ream ain't enough.

4 sheets got me to 1.25secs 

heres a link to the flats, theres 20 flats. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of these things can take a look and say whether these are any good with this panel

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gSV4qYY_GX6Die9LhyQo_XMJ47Oj4adC?usp=sharing

Here is the panel 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EL-Panel-13cm-x-13cm-14-99-Illuminated-Backlit-Gauge-Display-Glow-Foil/163638313721?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=463077923797&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It's better to judge flats once they are stacked and calibrated in an image.  If the image doesn't have dust bunnies or vignetting the flats worked.  Also examine the master flat by stretching it to see what it reveals.

However I took a look at one of your flats in Astroart and it is showing dust and vignetting, so looks like the flats are OK. 

Carole 

SGL AnthonyEx.png

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, carastro said:

It's better to judge flats once they are stacked and calibrated in an image.  If the image doesn't have dust bunnies or vignetting the flats worked.  Also examine the master flat by stretching it to see what it reveals.

Carole 

Wish I hadn't stretched it, what it reveals is dirty optics and an off centre camera. Guess I need to have a strip down and clean next period of bad weather to clean it and maybe look at a better focuser (or, sshh, new scope)

EL_Master_Flat.tiff