Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rosette visually

russ

It should fit? The Rosette is 80'x60' for the whole thing.....i think? The TFOV for my scope with the 26mm Swan is 1.22deg.

Looking at location chart online, i think i may have been in the wrong place.

It should fit? The Rosette is 80'x60' for the whole thing.....i think? The TFOV for my scope with the 26mm Swan is 1.22deg.

Looking at location chart online, i think i may have been in the wrong place.

In which case, GOTO is your friend! :D

Rosette is relatively easy to find because it surrounds a cluster (NGC 2244) so if you find the cluster you've found the nebula. But it's big and won't fit in the field of a medium sized scope. So the best way to start on it is with a small instrument - my first view was with 70mm binoculars from a dark site, and I've also viewed it with an 80mm short-tube refractor (unfiltered).

With my 8-inch scope I have to view the Rosette in chunks: it has multiple NGC desginations, and there are definite areas of brightness linked by more tenuous nebulosity. A UHC filter enhances the view, so if I were trying to see the Rosette from a light-polluted site I would definitely use a nebula filter of some type (such as UHC) but would not expect a "light pollution" filter to help. I would start by making sure I'd got the cluster (the right one!) then I'd nudge the scope outwards to try and see any trace of the surrounding nebula. For best results I'd put a hood over my head to block stray light.

Andrew

You say a UHC, not an LPR filter will help......Does that mean that the Rosette is an emission nebula? If so, would my OIII filter be a good 'un?

Yes, Stef, it's an emission nebula, so OIII should help.

Archived