Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Muddy boots and a ruined lawn

8 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Louis, I'm regularly over in Houston on business (not since Feb '20, tho!).  So I've be looking for (preferably road) trips from there to see the eclipse. I see Uvalde is not too far, just the other side of San Antonio - is this a favoured spot to observe it?

It's my pick for April.  It's a much more arid climate there than the area north and east of San Antonio.  Eagle Pass on the Rio Grande is another option for a day trip, but I wouldn't recommend staying overnight in the area.  Overnight car theft along the border is a big problem.  Uvalde is far enough away from the border that it isn't as much of a problem.  If you want to stay overnight in a delightful tourist town along the path, I would recommend Fredericksburg.  I'd book early, though.  Weather there would have a slightly higher chance of overcast skies.  Llano is another overnight option a bit further north as well as Kerrville to the south.  You might even be able to get a vacation rental on Lake Buchanan and not have to drive anywhere since it is directly on the eclipse center line.  If you want to camp overnight, Enchanted Rock State Natural Area between Fredericksburg and Llano would be an excellent option, but book very early.

• Thanks 1

On 28/09/2019 at 13:42, johninderby said:

Grass protection mats are a simple solution. Often used to allow wheelchair access or childrens play area in a soft grass area.

https://www.matsgrids.co.uk/grass-protection-mats/55-grassmats-23mm-thick-100x150cms-5060423910794.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy6rI_MTz5AIVRIfVCh1HUAOYEAQYAiABEgIpMfD_BwE

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Thought about it for myself before I moved house.

Artificial grass is another option. Its not cheap though. My back garden is covered with it. No mud, no puddles. 

The mats are a great idea. I'm a wheelchair user and thought about laying them on the lawn in my last house. I decided to move house instead.

2 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

We're having a new lawn laid later in the year. In the meantime I've had a single slab laid to put my scopes on.

I had thought about additional slabs to walk on, but was concerned they'd heat up during the day and affect the seeing at night as they cool down.

Any thoughts?

Most landscapers around here use cut rock or concrete edgers to demarcate the path and then pave the path with gravel and/or pavers of some sort rather than pour concrete.

spacer.pngspacer.png

I would think these would have less heat build-up than poured concrete and look much nicer.

Edited by Louis D
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

We're having a new lawn laid later in the year. In the meantime I've had a single slab laid to put my scopes on.

I had thought about additional slabs to walk on, but was concerned they'd heat up during the day and affect the seeing at night as they cool down.

Any thoughts?

My experience is that it is not the mount that causes the problem with the lawn, it’s the constant walking around it that churns up the lawn when it’s wet.

As this thread has been resurrected, thought I’d provide an update......

I fitted 6 lawn protection mats about the time this thread began. They worked like a dream through the first winter and Summer. My big mistake was not taking them up in the summer. This failure has resulted in them becoming meshed with the lawn, so much so that when I tried taking one up recently, it ripped the lawn up with it so I have had to leave them down and they are no longer visible. They still provide some protection but not as much as the first season.

My advice to anyone using lawn protection mats would be to take them up every Spring and allow the lawn to recover over the summer 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

Most landscapers around here use cut rock or concrete edgers to demarcate the path and then pave the path with gravel and/or pavers of some sort rather than pour concrete.

spacer.pngspacer.png

I would think these would have less heat build-up than poured concrete and look much nicer.

That looks very attractive, Louis!

On 05/01/2021 at 18:45, Second Time Around said:

Any thoughts?

Concrete does store heat and release it at night. The was the weather has been since NYE, I don't think there's much to worry about. We hit -8C the last couple of nights.