NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Adapter to allow 2" eyepieces

A year or so ago I bought a 12" SW newt from a fellow SGL-er. To say I am very happy with it would be an understatement.

However, take a look at the picture. The 1.25” eyepiece shown (TV DeLite 18.2) is slotted into an adapter which fits, via its circular angled-flange plate, onto the main drawtube-end-adapter, tightened in place with thumbscrews. If I remove the 1.25" adapter, the exposed recess is too big for a 2” eyepiece.

In other words, this scope as it is will not accept 2” eyepieces. I understand they now get supplied with an adapter which allows one to fit 2” units and achieve focus. My problem is that I don’t know what it’s called nor would I likely recognize it from a picture

Could some kind soul point me to a link which shows what I need please?

Thanks, Magnus

SW_Focuser.JPG.de041c4f7f43ff82381e00d8e9059372.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kev100 said:

Thanks. Funnily enough I do actually have that exact 80mm Revelation extender (bought from David Hardie's collection), but the problem with it is that its male end is 2", so it won't fit into the mewt's focuser.

10 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I know the problem you mean! I've encountered it.   If you arent sorted, I'll send you a photo of the part when I get home from work, that might help you?

that would be good, thank you.

9 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

As far as I can remember, I think he needs a bit screws onto the drawtube itself.

either a bit that screws onto the drawtube, or a bit that replaces the bit that "flanges in" to the existing bit that screws into the drawtube...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kev100 said:

Ah, okay. He'll probably need a 2in adaptor in any case, though ...  

Thanks - that looks like the same/very similar problem, but IIRC the bevel on the shown adapters looks less than what I remember mine to be. Trouble is, the scope is in Ireland and I'm in London.

34 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

... this is the sort of bevel my existing 1.25" has - although this pic is a 2" adapter - perhaps this is precisely what I need...

Bevel.JPG.59b38f6cd82182ff5c89eceedb4cfb64.JPG

That is exactly what you need. You might need to try a "wanted" advert in our classifieds or on the UK Astro Buy & Sell website to see if anyone has one to spare.

• Thanks 1

On 25/09/2019 at 15:48, Captain Magenta said:

A year or so ago I bought a 12" SW newt from a fellow SGL-er. To say I am very happy with it would be an understatement.

However, take a look at the picture. The 1.25” eyepiece shown (TV DeLite 18.2) is slotted into an adapter which fits, via its circular angled-flange plate, onto the main drawtube-end-adapter, tightened in place with thumbscrews. If I remove the 1.25" adapter, the exposed recess is too big for a 2” eyepiece.

In other words, this scope as it is will not accept 2” eyepieces. I understand they now get supplied with an adapter which allows one to fit 2” units and achieve focus. My problem is that I don’t know what it’s called nor would I likely recognize it from a picture

Could some kind soul point me to a link which shows what I need please?

Thanks, Magnus

SW_Focuser.JPG.de041c4f7f43ff82381e00d8e9059372.JPG

I have a similar thing on the 10inch SW, i thought that if you remove the 1.25 inch adaptor, you are left with the 2 inch default opening.

11 minutes ago, PlanetGazer said:

I have a similar thing on the 10inch SW, i thought that if you remove the 1.25 inch adaptor, you are left with the 2 inch default opening.

Maybe on the latest Skywatcher focuser designs but not one the older ones. It's a rather odd and annoying design that Skywatcher went for back then - other  brands gave you a 2 inch drawtube with a 2 inch eyepiece fitting on the end of it then you use a 1.25" adapter when the smaller eyepieces are in use. Skywatcher decided that you would need to use an adapter for both eyepiece sizes (used separately) so their drawtube has an adapter that is a touch over 2 inches in internal diameter and that needs a flanged adapter fitted into it to house the eyepiece.

Maybe they have seen sense more recently and adopted the approach that other brands have always used ?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PlanetGazer said:

That's what I thought too at first, but the opening thus revealed is bigger than 2". A 2" eyepiece will go in, but gets pushed to the side off-centre by the grubscrews. The pic above from @tooth_dr shows exactly how it is, the 1.25" adapter (also shown in my own pic) needs to be removed and replaced with the 2" one shown to allow 2" eyepices to fit properly. It's the style of SW newts from a good few years back, they've changed the design since.

M

Edit:  @John answered first, far more eloquently too!

Edited by Captain Magenta
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Thanks John. That's very like what the SW Quattros get supplied with these days I think, and a friend lent me just such an adapter to screw into the focus-tube of mine before my last trip to Ireland. Unfortunately my 2" didn't quite reach focus using that adapter on its own, I'd need a modest extension tube in addition.

Edited by Captain Magenta