Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Win 10 Pro install on barebones PC

DaveS

Can I suggest that when people have got a clean working system that they use something like Macrium Reflect Free and make a perfect image onto a USB stick or old HDD of their operating systems and software, I had loads of old 500GB HDD's and I always partition my computers so that the operating system and hard drive is installed on a separate partition to my files.

Now if anything goes belly up, I just use Macrium to restore the entire operating system and I am back up and running again, the software is free as long as it is for personal use, but it really is a tremendous piece of software that is so easy to use.

Dave, now that you have a clean operating systems and software, do yourself a favour, with Macrium you can resize the partitions for the backup as well.

• Like 1

Right, that's what I'll do, but I'm short of USB drives so will be ordering a few more. Off up that long river place.

Finally got the updates to load, had to turn off the computer and turn it on again, despite the warning not to turn off the computer.

11 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Better still, buy a Network Storage device e.g. Synology \ MyCloud etc. as these tend to be more robust and have built in backup routines etc.  

Something like This? Though I could put together the equivalent from its components for £200 less.

5 minutes ago, R26 oldtimer said:

... Ubuntu + Kstars??

Shudder..

No, not only does the mount have its own dedicated software package but having seen the evolutions people have had to go through to get the whole INDI / Ekos / Kstars working I'm glad that I am using the ASA package (Plus Maxim and (PinPoint).

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Can I suggest that when people have got a clean working system that they use something like Macrium Reflect Free and make a perfect image onto a USB stick or old HDD of their operating systems and software, I had loads of old 500GB HDD's and I always partition my computers so that the operating system and hard drive is installed on a separate partition to my files.

Now if anything goes belly up, I just use Macrium to restore the entire operating system and I am back up and running again, the software is free as long as it is for personal use, but it really is a tremendous piece of software that is so easy to use.

Dave, now that you have a clean operating systems and software, do yourself a favour, with Macrium you can resize the partitions for the backup as well.

I like the look of that software, I have been using Clonezilla to create images of systems and store them straight onto the NAS but this looks a little more user friendly and I like the idea of being able to virtualise images.

Just to bring this up to date, and probably put it to bed, Both the platform and observatory PCs, running Win 10 Pro are now showing the same screen background, though I only changed the one on the new PC, also the google home screen on both, new PCs, and this PC, an old Win 7 Pro is showing the same background, again I only changed the new PC.