SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Win 10 Pro install on barebones PC

DaveS

I've been stupid and bitten off more than I can chew.

I bought a "Barebones" micro PC for my obsy but it looks like there's no OS installed (Fair do, I thought it might be on the DVD that came with it but it's just drivers). I made a copy onto a USB stick hoping *something* would instal on boot up but no luck.

Therefore I need a Win 10 Pro install, and as there's no optical disk player that means a USB stick.

What concerns me is buying a copy of Win 10 Pro from the Microsoft store and still not being able to load it. I have installed a 64gb boot drive and 500gb storage drive plus 8gb RAM.

I think I need step by step "Bodge it for dummies" guide to installing as I know from bitter experience my ability to make a complete pig's ear of anything IT.

Edited by DaveS

Use the Windows 10 Media creation tool to make the USB drive a Win 10 install stick.
It's super easy, if you got any problems just search for a guide on Google.

Is it a new pc or used one? If it's used there might already be a licence tied to the motherboard that will automatically be activated

Edited by Xplode
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. looked on the Microsoft site and downloaded the tool, but says you have to have a license key.

This is why I bit off more than I can chew, Ass-U-Me'd that the computer would come with Win 10, as that is what it said on the amazon page.

OK, no Micro-$-oft sticker or barcode, and the DVD files look to be just drivers, Realtek HD audio, Intel HD graphics, and Broadcom.

So it looks like I bought a pup, either misreading or misunderstanding the product description on amazon, which means I'll have to purchase a new license for Win 10.

Can you link to the Amazon description or say which model you bought on Amazon. Many come with WIn10 Home or Pro pre-installed but not activated. Activation is automatic when you boot it up the first time with an internet connection. This is normally stated in the Amazon product description. You can possibly buy a version with no OS installed which would be cheaper.

Alan

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveS said:

OK, no Micro-$-oft sticker or barcode, and the DVD files look to be just drivers, Realtek HD audio, Intel HD graphics, and Broadcom.

So it looks like I bought a pup, either misreading or misunderstanding the product description on amazon, which means I'll have to purchase a new license for Win 10.

This is quite normal. All you have to do is d/l Windows from Microsoft onto another computer (a windows one). The download a tool called rufus onto the same PC. That software is used to convert the Windows version you downloaded (which is intended to be burned onto a DVD) into something that will boot from a USB drive.

Once you have created your bootable USB drive, insert that into one of the USB ports in your barebones machine. If that claims it can't find it or won't boot then you will have to fiddle about in the BIOS until it can "see" the USB drive. But once it can find the drive, it should boot up Windows and install it as a trial version. After that, install the drivers.

Windows will then complain about being unlicensed. But you have a period of grace to obtain a licence for it - some weeks.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pete_l said:

This is quite normal. All you have to do is d/l Windows from Microsoft onto another computer (a windows one). The download a tool called rufus onto the same PC. That software is used to convert the Windows version you downloaded (which is intended to be burned onto a DVD) into something that will boot from a USB drive.

Once you have created your bootable USB drive, insert that into one of the USB ports in your barebones machine. If that claims it can't find it or won't boot then you will have to fiddle about in the BIOS until it can "see" the USB drive. But once it can find the drive, it should boot up Windows and install it as a trial version. After that, install the drivers.

Windows will then complain about being unlicensed. But you have a period of grace to obtain a licence for it - some weeks.

This is an old outdated way to do it, it's how it was done before Windows 10.
With the Media creation tool from Microsoft it will make the usb stick bootable and copy the newest Win 10 build to it

• Thanks 1

OK, thanks guys, just checked Softwaregeeks.

This is the industrial mini PC I bought. Reading the description and the reviews / comments I thought it had Win 10 Pro installed but not activated. Would you read it the same way?

28 minutes ago, DaveS said:

OK, thanks guys, just checked Softwaregeeks.

This is the industrial mini PC I bought. Reading the description and the reviews / comments I thought it had Win 10 Pro installed but not activated. Would you read it the same way?

That's how I read it too, but I suspect only if you buy a full pc with hd and ram. One of the reviews says that the buyer needed to contact the supplier for the activation code.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, that's what / how I read it, so it's not just me being stupid / naive (Or even stupidly naive).

I'm going to have another go, pressing Function Keys until one of them brings up the Boot Menu. Unfortunately the included "manual" only refers to an already functioning computer. A bit annoying really.

4 minutes ago, Gasman said:

Bit misleading isn't it, I would have bought that on the understanding it had Win 10  Installed although can't see where it says they will give you the licence code though??.

Steve

I think you have to contact their customer (Non)services.

39 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

That's how I read it too, but I suspect only if you buy a full pc with hd and ram. One of the reviews says that the buyer needed to contact the supplier for the activation code.

Ah, re-reading this comment makes sense, as the installed ssd would have Win 10 on it.

OK, off to softwaregeeks.

Thanks, that's what I'm realising.

Fortunately I have a spare 64 gig USB stick I can use. somehow I thought the DVD might have Win 10 on it (Realising it's too big to fit on a DVD), or might be on a ROM (Same stupidity).