NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Autofocuser Recommendations?

I'm looking to fit autofocusers to my two 'fracs, a TS 130 Photoline Triplet and a TS Imaging Star 80 mm f/4.4 Although they have different sizes of focuser the actual R&P gubbins look to be the same.

ATM the two I'm looking at are the PrimaLuce and the ZWO ones. There is also the Lunatico ones. I can't afford the Lakeside offerings, especially with multiple units.

I intend to rotate the focuser on the 80 so it is upside down, this will mean the autofocus units are on opposite sides of the dovetail for balance reasons. DDM mounts are *very* sensitive to balance.

So.. has anyone experience of either unit? Good or bad. Any tips? For the ODK I may go for something fancy from Optec, though rupert says there's a much cheaper version coming.

1 minute ago, DaveS said:

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind, though ATM I'm looking for a more solid connection.

The deepskydad one was on my list to get until the ZWO one got released, it sits nicely between the DSD and the primaluce for price but gives the compact benefit of the more expensive one. 

• Thanks 1

The PrimaLuce one looks like it clamps directly to the outer spindle housing avoiding various clamping arrangements of adaptor bars etc, but is a fair bit more, and the temperature probe is a lot more than the ZWO.

How about build quality?

I have the Sesto Senso, and to me it feels like a really well engineered bit of kit. Very solid and mounting it was very simple. I get reliable and repeatable focus from my SW80ED's stock focuser

If the ZWO has been released when I bought it, I think i'd have been on the fence as to the option of a hand controller, but I'm happy without - I don't do any visual.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, DaveS said:

The PrimaLuce one looks like it clamps directly to the outer spindle housing avoiding various clamping arrangements of adaptor bars etc, but is a fair bit more, and the temperature probe is a lot more than the ZWO.

How about build quality?

The SharpSky focuser clamps directly to the focuser spindle via a 3D printed attachment that can be rotated to suit, I've got one on my 152mm frac' nice solid connection and works really well.

Dave

• Thanks 1

What about the Pegasus one? https://pegasusastro.com/motor-focus-kit/  I have one and also the ZWO focuser so can compare both directly.....  The Pegasus one has more steps per revolution than the ZWO one but Im imaging at 200mm/F4 and the ZWO never fails.  The build quality of the ZWO is better, its a lovely red anodized case, very solid feeling, the Pegasus one is a black plastic box with a sticker...  Mounting wise, I had to expand/modify the ZWO bracket to fit my Baader Steeltrack whereas the universal bracket with the Pegasus mounted to the dovetail on my WO ZS scope no problem.

Both work perfectly, so its down to personal preference - the ZWO looks nicer but is less flexible having the smaller bracket, so I think if I were to purchase another I would go with the pegasus purely on flexibility as I'm no engineer and had to get a mate to modify/fit it!

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I'd not heard of the Pegasus, one more to consider.

Still attracted to the Sesto Senso, as it clamps directly to the outer spindle without adaptor plate faff, but it's a bit more expensive, which can soon add up.

47 minutes ago, blinky said:

I had heard/read that its not that great - it needs to be exactly aligned and it turned out it was not very easy to do that - think it was a review on cloudy nights, thats why I went for the Pegasus

It is a little bit of a faf with grub screws. I think I was up and running from unboxing to working in about 40 minutes

edit: If you download the software, the hardware instructions are in the zip - you can then see how it hangs together

Edited by Yawning Angel
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, I did wonder what the grub screws and holes were for as it looked like it just clamped around the spindle.

Edit: Watched the video on the Primaluce site, and reading the manual.

Edited by DaveS