Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Going to sound like a daft lad here.

alan potts

Well I have had a play and only stopped because of the Moon, just shot 10 images with the 071, 4 of the Pelican and 6 of M13. all 4 minutes and did not bother with cooling or anything else

Now whilst I found out how to stretch the APT image to a nice rendition of both and I was fairly impressed with the detail of M13, sharp and clean with stunning guiding at 0.2RMS all the time and less (mount must be broken)

Can someone give me some pointers as the following.

How do you see an imaging in another programs, Im recording FITS which I can't view, even though Raw is ticked, and everything is B&W, nice though it is. I wish to see RAW and if possible in colour, it is a colour camera after all.

Can someone map out order of work flow for me and in which program, I only have Photoshop CC and Deep Space Stacker, until now this is all I have needed.

1746938909_Autosave003copy.thumb.jpg.17a3c71d4ad50d84bfaae4e90712a725.jpg

Many thanks Alan

• Like 2

Hi Alan..  pleased to hear that you've got it working, can't answer your questions as have not used a colour camera, although I suspect it'll be to do with debayering.  Excellent image though, nice tight stars, propellor clear and plenty of faint fuzzies...  bodes extremely well for once you've got the colour sorted and cooling on. 

Dave

Edited by Laurin Dave

Hi Alan, nice image.

Hope this helps, I think this is what you’re getting at but apologies if I’ve got the wrong end of the stick.

When you view a raw colour image on a DSLR display for example, the DSLR has performed some in camera processing so it’s visible and in colour.  When you open that same image in a pure raw format on a Pc it is greyscale and linear (unstretched) so it will appear very dark, probably totally black if it’s an Astro image.  In order to see anything it needs to be stretched, Pixinsight have a tool for example, called a Screen Transfer Function which allows you to view it as a stretched image without actually stretching it, so you can work on it.  I guess other applications have something similar.  In order to view it as a colour image you need to debayer it prior to stacking.

edit

This is quite a good explanation of the debayering process:

http://www.stark-labs.com/craig/resources/Articles-&-Reviews/Debayering_API.pdf

Edited by Scooot
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Getting nowhere on this one, what do i need to Debayer images from a Zwo 071?

Alan

In deep sky stacker you need to go into fits settings, then there’s a box near the top of the page you tick ( mono chrome something, I can’t remember ) this allows you to select debayer rggb. Then you stack as normal, save as tiff so you can then work on it in photoshop. Hope this helps. 

• Like 3

Thank you for that looked at that box a few time but wasn't sure what to do, last time I ticked a box without instruction I had a pointing problem that foxed the forum for 3 weeks, idle hands.

This is 6 subs, no cooling, no darks, no flats, no dark falts, and no bias, I have to say for that I am fairly pleased with the result, to think I was going to stick it in its box and forget it 2 weeks back. A lot to learn though still, for a kickoff more data, though I picked this as it is an easy target to start with just for finding if nothing else.

Autosave007.thumb.jpg.93c9e7312727f762e58d88e7e21c2b7f.jpg

A very quick process in PS, which I can do better I am sure.

Alan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevstew said:

In deep sky stacker you need to go into fits settings, then there’s a box near the top of the page you tick ( mono chrome something, I can’t remember ) this allows you to select debayer rggb. Then you stack as normal, save as tiff so you can then work on it in photoshop. Hope this helps. 

Is there anything that can see the files prior to loading DSS as there here is clearly a bit of bad guiding on at least one of the 6 subs, and at the moment I have no way of weeding them out. I use to do this in a Canon program for the DSLR but of course these files don't show an image of any sort, colour would not matter.

Alan

8 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Is there anything that can see the files prior to loading DSS as there here is clearly a bit of bad guiding on at least one of the 6 subs, and at the moment I have no way of weeding them out. I use to do this in a Canon program for the DSLR but of course these files don't show an image of any sort, colour would not matter.

Alan

Alan,

Yes I know what you mean it saves an awful lot of heartache to weed these bad frames out right at the start.

I use Blink in PixInsight but of course it is not worth the cost just to flick quickly through your images.

Can you not do this in APT using the image tab? They will not be in color I am guessing but you will be able to see elongated stars, sat trails, etc and then move that fram somewhere elso or delete it. APT will automatically stretch the image when selected and display it on the main screen so should be quite easy to flip through them all.

I.E :-

image.thumb.png.2d152f22ba6a166b0f7082450146a9c3.png 

Steve

6 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Alan,

Yes I know what you mean it saves an awful lot of heartache to weed these bad frames out right at the start.

I use Blink in PixInsight but of course it is not worth the cost just to flick quickly through your images.

Can you not do this in APT using the image tab? They will not be in color I am guessing but you will be able to see elongated stars, sat trails, etc and then move that fram somewhere elso or delete it. APT will automatically stretch the image when selected and display it on the main screen so should be quite easy to flip through them all.

I.E :-

image.thumb.png.2d152f22ba6a166b0f7082450146a9c3.png 

Steve

Not really sure Steve, I can look at these in APT as I take em but I don't know how to bring them back up. Even though I now have a 28 inch screen in the obsey, it isn't always obvious, There must be a photo type program that can open FITS to look at, I only have Canon based ones and PS. You really need to see them at 100% and a bit to get a really good picture. I will have a look deeper.

Alan

Alan

I may have completely missed the point here, if so, my apologies in advance, but you have a camera that saves images as .fits files and you have Deep Sky Stacker, yes?

Well, DSS will allow you to view the .fits files - click the drop down box next to the filename box in the load images window and select .fits.

When you have loaded your .fits images into DSS, adjust the gamma slider (top right of the DSS display) then click on the first image and, once it has displayed, either remove it or click on to the next.

In summary, DSS can display a wide variety of image formats and .fits should be no different.

Edited by almcl
  • Like 1

Alan,

There probably is a stand alone program that will do this but I have just tried in APT and I often do this as I am imaging so it is possible in APT.

If you go to the Image tab.

image.png.cb421da6e096eac3a43adc6ea31afff4.png

Then you can select your directory where you have saved the images to by clicking on here:-

image.png.d05fb97b289bc7dc78c56d5b1d882d07.png

Then if you select autostretch when ever you click on a small image to the right it should appear stretched both on this small image and on the main screen.

image.png.fc51ccdf47cc48bc5935cba3fa12d80f.png

Then if Autostretch is selected and you click on a small image in the RH pane it should appear stretched in both the small image and in the main frame.

image.thumb.png.548f6babdf33829b6c495c650407f7e5.png

If the image is bad then you could just hit delete which puts the image into the Recycle Bin so you can retrieve it if needed.

Would this not do what you want to do, maybe not the most elaborate way but you should be able to weed out the bad images?

Steve

• Like 1