Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

steviebee

Zwo ASI 120MC-S question.

I am looking at getting a Zwo ASI 120MC-S for imaging/guiding but they have a USB3 connection. My laptop only has USB2. Can the USB3 physically fit into a USB2 port? Would it still work? I cant justify getting another laptop as I don't think my head would look to good on a spike outside my house once my wife found out lol. Or perhaps someone could recommend a similar camera. TIA.

Steve.

It will work with USB2 but the download speed will be reduced.

Peter

Thank you Peter, a new laptop is on the cards just not this side of Xmas.

2 hours ago, steviebee said:

I am looking at getting a Zwo ASI 120MC-S for imaging/guiding but they have a USB3 connection. My laptop only has USB2. Can the USB3 physically fit into a USB2 port? Would it still work? I cant justify getting another laptop as I don't think my head would look to good on a spike outside my house once my wife found out lol. Or perhaps someone could recommend a similar camera. TIA.

Steve.

The computer end of a USB3 style cable is backwards compatible - I just bought two 1TB HDDs and they both have USB3 leads but work fine with USB2.

it'll be fine on a usb2 port. If its being used for guiding or long exposure imaging USB2 is fine. USB3 really comes into its own when using it for fast/high frame rate video capture for planetary. 

• Like 1

If you're happy with a used one they come up in the classifieds here and/or on AB&S occasionally.  Probably best to avoid the stock USB2 version though.  They can work fine if you're prepared to fiddle with them, but that's a bit of a gamble.

James

• Like 1