NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Binocular for stargazing.

I have a pair of Helios 8x40 Nature Sport WE binoculars which I find to heavy to view stars etc as they are dancing all over the place.

I am interested in buying a monocular which is less than 1\3 of the weight for stargazing. Any  comments or advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Chris P

You binoculars has a tripod adapter bush from what I can see that will unscrew to allow you attach a tripod bracket adapter like the large porro one in the link. You can then attach them to a tripod to view with to hold them steadier.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/binocular-accessories/opticron-l-type-binocular-tripod-bracket-adapters.html

I prefer a monopod. For overhead use mine is not tall enough unless I rest its foot on a small table, so that's what I do. 

The advantage of a monopod is that it makes it very easy to hold your binoculars stable, and it carries the weight of the binoculars as well as that of your arms.

Edited by Ruud

Thanks r lie on the ground with something under your head and rest the bins in your eyeballs.. pretty steady. The monopod option works well too. Sometimes it is easier to hold heavier bins more stable than light ones, so you might not improve things with a monocular. Also the two eye advantage is very handy, bins are to be preferred.

peter

• Like 1

22 hours ago, devdusty said:

I have a pair of Helios 8x40 Nature Sport WE binoculars which I find to heavy to view stars etc as they are dancing all over the place.

I am interested in buying a monocular which is less than 1\3 of the weight for stargazing.

The weight is not what makes the binoculars shake, the body shakes all the time to maintain its balance, and the binocs magnify the effect, so any optics with the same magnification will show the same motion, no matter how lightweight. The solution is to make them more stable, so you could also use larger binocs as an extra benefit; or resort to electronically stabilized binocs but they are expensive.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies.The topic heading was monocular for stargazing but when I typed it in it changed to Binocular for stargazing!

I was interested in observing with a monocular so any advice or thoughts about that would be welcome.

Chris P

9 hours ago, devdusty said:

Thanks for your replies.The topic heading was monocular for stargazing but when I typed it in it changed to Binocular for stargazing!

I was interested in observing with a monocular so any advice or thoughts about that would be welcome.

Chris P

You could take a hacksaw to any of the above!

Seriously are you looking at "spotting scopes" or small telescopes?

Regards Andrew 

• Haha 1

The traditional monocular combines the drawbacks of the traditional scope (just one eye in use) with the drawbacks of a pair of binoculars (lack of stability, low, fixed magnification).  Worse still, they often lack any option to mount them on a tripod or monopod. Their only advantage is light weight, but they will bounce around just as much as binoculars of the same magnification do. Sitting down, or using some mount to stabilize the bins helps far more than reducing weight. My very light BA-1 type 15x70 bins were actually more difficult to hold still than my later Helios Apollo 15x70 (BA-8 type, and a full kg heavier).  I used these without mounting, as I do my current Helios LightQuest 16x80s (same weight as the Apollos) for shorter runs, but if time allows, I mount them either on a very tall monopod, or on my home-brew p-mount

IMAG1178.thumb.jpg.dda82ba7120d9bf2a58b8391f21c88c2.jpg

post-5655-0-55894000-1389190237_thumb.jpg

• Like 1