NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron 18771 power tank and DC splitter?

Hi all.

I have just bought a Celestron 18771-CGL power tank to allow me to get out to the dark skies of the South Downs with my Nexstar 8SE. This is a great bit of kit because it's so light and portable and powers the scope for hours no problem. However, I've also been thinking about getting a dew heater and the only downside of the power tank is it's lack of a second 12v output. I was looking on the First Light Optics website and they sell a DC splitter cable to allow two devices to be powered from a single output. I'm not an electrician obviously, but logical tells me if the dew heater controller is also a 12v device there should be no problem running both the scope and the heater at the same time other than draining the battery faster. Is anyone using a splitter cable in this way? Or can anyone confirm my logic is flawed?

Your logic is sound; provided that the connectors are making good contact, and the leads have decent copper conductors to minimise volts-drop. The optimum is to have the split as close as possible to the power tank, so that the two loads have a minimum effect on each other.

Geoff