NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M16 Eagle Nebula (LRGB) - 25 Aug 2019

geoflewis

Here is my look at the 'Pillars of Creation' made famous by Hubble.

M16_LRGB_IP_PS.thumb.jpg.064d9c0f1927f08f63f7d9f3b8dd5e11.jpg

As expected this proved to be a challenging target from the UK, especially as I was trying for it quite late in the season when it was already setting as astronomical darkness fell, hence most of the data was captured before the skies were fully dark. Imaging at such a low altitude and in a less than dark sky contributed to bad seeing, made worse by lots of horizon hugging haze and cloud, consequently guiding was erratic and generally poor, resulting in somewhat weird shapped stars, but I'm still pleased to get this in the can.

Thanks for looking,

Geof

• Like 16

23 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Superb effort make mine look tame and I can steal about 11 degrees on you.

Alan

Thanks Alan,

I’m reasonably satisfied with it, but I’m never going to get a great result from 52N. I generally prefer RGB/LRGB to NB Hubble palette, but I do think that this target looks much better in false colour NB.

Cheers, Geof

• Like 1

10 hours ago, geoflewis said:

Here is my look at the 'Pillars of Creation' made famous by Hubble.

M16_LRGB_IP_PS.thumb.jpg.064d9c0f1927f08f63f7d9f3b8dd5e11.jpg

As expected this proved to be a challenging target from the UK, especially as I was trying for it quite late in the season when it was already setting as astronomical darkness fell, hence most of the data was captured before the skies were fully dark. Imaging at such a low altitude and in a less than dark sky contributed to bad seeing, made worse by lots of horizon hugging haze and cloud, consequently guiding was erratic and generally poor, resulting in somewhat weird shapped stars, but I'm still pleased to get this in the can.

Thanks for looking,

Geof

Wow, i think that looks amazing Geof. Despite the capture difficulties, the amount of detail on show is still remarkable. It honestly doesn't look like an image that was captured under those conditions! 

Well and truly 'in the can' i'd say 👌

9 hours ago, Xiga said:

Wow, i think that looks amazing Geof. Despite the capture difficulties, the amount of detail on show is still remarkable. It honestly doesn't look like an image that was captured under those conditions! 

Well and truly 'in the can' i'd say 👌

Thanks Ciarán, you are too kind, but it's good to see it through other folks eyes 😀.

Cheers, Geof

Looks like next year for any more imaging on this target for me.  ATM I'm concentrating on widefield imaging.

This is my best attempt from way back in July 2016.  Hubble pallet.  Must have been with MN190 scope and Atik camera though I can't remember which.  Processed in Photoshop.

spacer.png

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Gina said:

Looks like next year for any more imaging on this target for me.  ATM I'm concentrating on widefield imaging.

This is my best attempt from way back in July 2016.  Hubble pallet.  Must have been with MN190 scope and Atik camera though I can't remember which.  Processed in Photoshop.

spacer.png

That's really good Gina, thanks for sharing it. I do think that the hubble palette works  better than RGB for this target, but I don't have the NB filters for that (yet)...

Geof

• Thanks 1

Thanks Geof.  I was a bit reluctant to post it in your thread as this was the result of a lot of work with good equipment and I didn't want to overshadow your work.  I think this was with Astrodon 3nm Ha, OIII and SII filters.  I would like to get a bit more resolution but realise I may need a lot of luck with the seeing etc.

• Like 1