Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saskatchewan meteorite fragments found.

The Warthog

Cute indeed WH. She must have been sure that Ice was thick enough to hold her weight. I trust the onlookers would have gone to her assistance had it broke, and not worried about the meteorite. :laughing2: Very pretty girl.

There must be lots more of that rock to be located though. It was a biggie.

Ron. :D

Cheers WH.

that 13Kg lump will be worth a few $

As a meteorite collector I'll be interested to see what type it is when it's been analysed and how quickly some of this material starts to come on the market - the most recent fall that I've got a sample of is the Carancas meteorite that fell in Peru in September last year - than made a nice crater 13 metres across.

If it's an ordinary chondrite the price will be quite low after a while with all that mass having been found.

Thanks for posting the info WH :D

John

Imteresting to see the photos. MAde me wonder, how many people would actually recognise a lump of meteorite if they found it? I'd guess lots of people would just think it was some old rock.

Incidently, you could have met Ellen, as they held a media event on 28/11/08.

Imteresting to see the photos. MAde me wonder, how many people would actually recognise a lump of meteorite if they found it? I'd guess lots of people would just think it was some old rock.

Meteorites that fall in deserts tend to stand out but those that fall in other areas quickly erode and corrode and within a week or so start to look like the native rocks - which maybe why UK finds are pretty rare - our climate is not good for a meteorite !.

I've got a few pieces that were collected within days of the fall and they have a characteristic dark ablation crust on their outer surfaces. It's really only when a specimen is cut and polished that their true (and distinctive) structure is revealed.

John

Archived