Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice on a weight to balance a short refractor with a EQ6 mount

Taff

Hi' With my EQ6 mount i would like to use a short tube refractor fitted to the mount.But i can't get the scope to balance on the mount with the weights' i have got.Can anyone help me on which weight i need so i can get the short scope to balance while on the mount Thanks.Mark

Get a half weight possibly.  

Or put something on top of the refractor to add to it's weight.  (guidescope etc).

Not sure where you would buy a half weight, I managed to buy one at Astrofest once but it was sheer luck.

Carole 

On 26/08/2019 at 13:15, Taff said:

Thanks Carole' When the scope is fitted to the mount i could try one weight.Then fit a filter wheel and the camera to the scope and see if the mount balance.Mark

There are 3.5kg weights for the EQ3-2 that fit the CW shaft of the EQ6. This might be what Carole managed to pick up.

Adding more weight to the scope will also help, if you fully load the scope as you intend to use it then try again, you might be able to use the larger weight but very close to the mount..

One thing I found when loading the focuser on a small frac is it becomes back heavy and I struggled to move the scope far enough forward to balance without the focuser disappearing under the dovetail.

HTH.

Gordon.