Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

iOptron iPolar questions

michaelmorris

A recent house move has meant that I've had to give up my beloved observatory.  For the foreseeable future I'm going to be back to setting my gear for imaging in the back garden from scratch every evening that is clear.  To cut down on set up time I was looking at ways to make it quick and easy to get polar aligned.  The new iOptron iPolar looks like a versatile, quick and accurate method of polar alignment, that's £90 cheaper than a QHY Polemaster.

I will be using two mounts - a new-to-me AZEQ6 GT and an iOptron Skytracker portable mount.

So here are my questions. 

1. How easy to use and accurate is the iPolar in use?
  2. Has anyone got experience of using one with the original Skytracker?

Thanks.

I have the AZEQ6 GT. and like you have to set it up every time I want to use it.  Rather than use iPolar why not use  SharpCap to do polar alignment.  You do need the Pro version which costs £10  which is not a great deal.

Using its polar align tool takes me less than 5 minutes to get aligned.  The accuracy each time is within 2 to 5 arc seconds if the viewing is up to it, which is as good as using Polemaster.

4 hours ago, wornish said:

I have the AZEQ6 GT. and like you have to set it up every time I want to use it.  Rather than use iPolar why not use  SharpCap to do polar alignment.  You do need the Pro version which costs £10  which is not a great deal.

Using its polar align tool takes me less than 5 minutes to get aligned.  The accuracy each time is within 2 to 5 arc seconds if the viewing is up to it, which is as good as using Polemaster.

What scope/camera combination are you using with SharpCap?

9 hours ago, michaelmorris said:

What scope/camera combination are you using with SharpCap?

Nothing special its just a low cost  Toupcam GCMOS01200KMB attached to the standard Skywatcher 50mm finderscope which has a focal length of 180mm.  If Sharpcap has trouble finding enough stars simply either increase the exposure time or the gain setting.  Even in relatively poor seeing it has always worked for me. It only needs to be able to see 5 or 6 stars to work in my experience.

• 4 months later...
On 24/08/2019 at 17:46, michaelmorris said:

Thanks for the advice.  I've decided to give SharpCap another chance, so I spludged out £10 on a 1 year licence and I'll give it another go.

Hi, I’m curious to know how you got on, did you stick with SCP or buy the iOptron ipolar? 

Ben 

Edited by Benjam

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/08/2019 at 12:53, michaelmorris said:

I've tried using SharpCap for polar alignment before using my Lodestar x2 and a 90 x 50 finder/guider.  It did work sometimes, but if there was even thin high cloud it difficulty finding enough stars.

Try binning 2x2 as suggested by the manufacturer . I found it made a huge difference

• Like 1

Just ordered an iPolar myself. I intend to 3D print an adaptor and use it on my star adventurer and potentially on my AZGTI if inget around to trying it in EQ mode.

I have used Sharpcap on the odd occasion but always found it a bit hit and miss tbh.  For £200 the iPolar seemed to be worth a punt.