Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

QHY183 + Skywatcher 200PDS Suitability?

PaulR1

I am thinking of moving on from DSLR imaging and have been looking at different cameras. I want to go the mono route with a filter wheel and was wondering if the QHY 183 on a 200PDS would work properly together.

In the CCD suitability calculator I see this :

image.png.1d32ffc41925c614e3d96040e18cc472.png

If I use 2 *2 binning then we see this .

image.png.e5faa371acc56d8d5b6c54f6cafe5806.png

which looks ok , I just wondered if binning would be an acceptable thing to do or would the "slight over sampling " really make a detrimental effect ?

Also what about focusing , would a QHY183 on a coma corrector and a filter wheel focus ok on a 200 PDS ?

thanks 

Paul

Yep - I oversample and it works. Obviously matching sampling is best, but for doing high-detail things like galaxies it's a fab setup. Bit useless for widefield though!

Edit: Also, yes, you'll want to replace the focuser. Just motorising it will work for lighter loads, so on a mini filterwheel you might get away with it, but I swapped for a Baader Diamond Steeltrack: https://www.talkunafraid.co.uk/2019/08/a-focused-approach/ has some details/photos. The ZWO EFW or PLL Sesto Senso will work just fine on either focuser without breaking the bank.

Edited by discardedastro

On 25/08/2019 at 18:43, chris2 said:

Hi

just acquired a 200PDS. did you get any answers?

Heya , thanks for the answers guys , looks like it may be ok .

I love my 200PDS , how are you finding it ?

On 17/08/2019 at 17:58, PaulR1 said:

I am thinking of moving on from DSLR imaging and have been looking at different cameras. I want to go the mono route with a filter wheel and was wondering if the QHY 183 on a 200PDS would work properly together.

In the CCD suitability calculator I see this :

image.png.1d32ffc41925c614e3d96040e18cc472.png

If I use 2 *2 binning then we see this .

image.png.e5faa371acc56d8d5b6c54f6cafe5806.png

which looks ok , I just wondered if binning would be an acceptable thing to do or would the "slight over sampling " really make a detrimental effect ?

Also what about focusing , would a QHY183 on a coma corrector and a filter wheel focus ok on a 200 PDS ?

thanks 

Paul

It will be great for dedicated galaxy imaging in very good seeing conditions. Clearly not suited to nebula imaging, you will of course need to guide the scope very accurately to in effect make your system seeing limited. Pixel scale of 1-2 is only for guidance. The camera will focus fine.