NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter from Last Night

Aussie Dave

Jupiter at 7:12pm yesterday evening. Conditions average to good Mandurah, Western Australia.

Captured in SharpCap, stacked in AutoStakkert 3, wavelets in RegiStax 6, edited in PaintDotNet.

Celestron Neximage 5
Saxon 8" Maksutov
SkyWatcher EQ6 Pro

1049121775_19_13_42_l6_ap217v650p2rs200pB-SplineJupiterFinal.png.a5e6a3f6c124ddeb076d1e762c235e61.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Love it! Well done! :) Jupiter up here in Blighty is pretty much pants at the moment with the low altitude of Jupiter, and the flipping jet stream blowing above us! Sheesh! ;) 

Yes we're getting a bit of the jetstream too and need to dodge the clouds here. We seem to have sky mist which fuzzifies detail. I haven't had many good or better seeing nights where I am. The only thing going for me is the elevation.

I don't know about anyone else when the planets were higher in the Northern hemisphere but I rarely see much detail on live view and only a couple of times visually. I guess filters would help with eyepieces. When I do see it on live view it's fleeting, very faint and always washed out by the brightness.

This was from the ZWO ASI224MC about 6:37pm that same night. Ganymede down the bottom. The Neximage 5 couldn't pick up the moon, only some of the shadow but I would put that down to the seeing and slower frame rate of the Neximage 5.
I much prefer the colour that the Neximage 5 gives compared to the 224mc, I can spend hours trying to get the colour better with the 224 and still not get it right. I gave up on this image in the end as I've spent way too much time of it.

935005152_18_36_30_l6_ap13840p3160strs200pJupiterandGanymede.png.2829d9a2c7e58bdb27fcfbcd5bd37ccc.png

• Like 1