Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Veil in Ha OIII LRGB

ollypenrice

Laurin Dave and I shot two panels of luminance (18x15 minutes each) and an hour per colour per panel. I already had a deep OIII and Ha set 'in stock' and an RGB layer of an hour per colour per panel so we put them all together.  In my existing HaOIIIRGB version I think I pushed too hard, trying to get narrowband depth in a natural colour image. It was never a very happy image. In this processing I decided to settle for less depth in the faint stuff and a more natural look. The brown dust on the right hand side is, we both feel, genuine. I've seen it every time I've shot colour on the Veil and the star count is also lower against the browns, consistent with the presence obscuring dust. Perhaps this dust is even being compressed by the expanding shock wave creating the Broom? I actually lowered the saturation of the browns in this version.

Total exposure over 30 hours. Tak FSQ106N/Mesu 200/Atik 11000 mono.

There is neither noise reduction nor sharpening in this one. Data calibrated using master bias, bad pixel map and luminance flat for all filters. AstroArt, Registar, Pixinsight and Photoshop CS3.

spacer.png

Olly and Dave.

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 16

24 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

I did wonder about that right side of the image, but you are right - it is genuine - this image shows it clearly:

https://www.spacetelescope.org/images/heic0712e/

I  don't know if it's dust or maybe faint Ha emission ...

Thanks, good link. I don't think it's Ha because it doesn't show in that data. If you look at the upper tip of the Witch's Broom and imagine a line going from there to the top right hand corner you can see that, to the left of that line there is a high star count and, to right of it, a much lower one. My guess is that the shock front of the broom actually still exists along that line so the region to the left is more transparent, having been swept.

Olly

Edit, here's an Ha-OIII monochrome rendition.

2071410096_veilHaOIIImonochromeWEB.thumb.jpg.6a10c38a148decc339f5592e5f0cbb85.jpg

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 4

All beautiful, finely crafted images, my favourite though is the monochrome version. For me it shows the overall structure in more clarity, I like the spike like dark rift which is more prominent in the top RH corner.

• Like 1