Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Transits of Saturn's Moons.

Whilst patiently waiting for weeks now for clear skies I was passing time looking up tbe Galilean app to see if Jupiter was due any lunar transits down here this week.

Having had the thrill of seeing several transits in the past year it occured to me that I have nevsr seen lunar transits of Saturn. That got me searching for relevant information on the subject which led me to an interesting discussion on CloudyNights from 2015.

It seems it only happens about every 15 years or so when the rings are edge on to us on Earth. May be due again around 2024 or so.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/489933-shadow-transits-of-saturns-moons/

Lucky for you folks up north, Saturn will be high in the sky by then! :)

Edited by Geoff Barnes
  • Like 6

Following on, has anyone managed to actually observe a lunar transit of Saturn in the past? I imagine my 12 inch Dob would be quite capable of resolving  the shadow of Titan with say a 4mm EP.

Edited by Geoff Barnes

I've not managed to see a saturnian moon transit but I did observe the planet when the rings were edge on to us around 2009-10. I can't recall a point when the rings simply were not visible but I do recall their angle being so narrow that they looked rather like a sharp needle of light sticking out of either side of the planet.

I found this EAS article dating from 2009 on such transits:

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Science/Four_of_Saturn_s_moons_parade_by_their_parent/(print)

My understanding is that the "window" of time when these events can be viewed is short - just a few months and during that time there may only be a handfull of transits visible. Add to that Saturns position which might not be favourable during that time plus variable weather and I suspect actual observations by amateurs are rather rare.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John said:

Add to that Saturns position which might not be favourable during that time

I've just been having a bit of a play with SkySafari and it seems to me that on 31st October 2024 at 9.30 pm in the UK Saturn will be at about 40 degrees altitude. That should be good enough for a decent view for you I would think. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

I've just been having a bit of a play with SkySafari and it seems to me that on 31st October 2024 at 9.30 pm in the UK Saturn will be at about 40 degrees altitude. That should be good enough for a decent view for you I would think. :) 

Something to look forward to, Deo volente.......

Chris

• Like 3

• 2 years later...