NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

PHD won't connect

ollypenrice

Hi All, The death of one of our laptops has meant trying to load PHD2 onto a new PC. I download and install it OK, plug in a Lodestar and choose Starlight Xpress SXV from the list of cameras, just as I have always done in the past. However, no camera is found. In previous installations of PHD2 this has never happened. I have just chosen Starlight Xpress SXV and it has connected.  I'm having the same issue on two PCs and two different Lodestars using different cables so I don't think it's a hardware problem.

Any ideas? (When I can get the camera to connect I'll choose 'On Camera' for ST4 guiding because my mounts are not ASCOM compatible.)

Thanks in advance,

Olly

1 minute ago, Skipper Billy said:

Have you downloaded and installed the Starlight drivers https://www.sxccd.com/drivers-downloads ?

No. I've never done so in the past because PHD seems to have them loaded already, hence the camera being in a list of options already there in the basic download. However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Olly

Olly look at the problems, if you recall I have had with cables.

I am back on ST4 now as for some unknown reason EQmod doesn't want to transmit guide signals.

So back to something you rightly said you had never left, ST4.

4 cables, same gear used with each. 3 new cables bought by me, one given by a fellow Mod, 3 news not one works, only the one Rob sent works. Worth trying some other cables or could it be the weather. 

Alan

• Like 1

Has Windows asigned a port to the camera? Unplug the camera from Windows. Check the com ports in windows control panel. Plug in the camera, and check again. The camera port should now be visible. If it isn't, the problem is with windows. Probably the driver.

(Linux is so much easier. Sometimes. 😉)

Edited by wimvb

Thanks for the replies folks. Installing the latest SX drivers didn't work at first but, after a couple of restarts, the camera just appeared and connected. Such is IT.

Thanks,

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AKB said:

Oh no! Not the pink one ...?

That died last year after a creditable run. :D This is the Sony machine running Vista Most Vile so I'll be glad to see the back of it povided I can get something else to work!

Olly

10 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I'll show it who's in charge when I throw the whole darned lot out of the window...

Olly

Steady lad, how will you get those beautiful images.

It is probably age related, yours not the technology. Once you pass a certain age it just stops working for you. My son in law, past tech wizard,  is just now transitioning. It's such fun to watch him suffer as it just refuses to bend to his will anymore.

Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Thanks for the replies folks. Installing the latest SX drivers didn't work at first but, after a couple of restarts, the camera just appeared and connected. Such is IT.

Thanks,

Olly

That's exactly why I don't like I.T..

Don't understand why it won't work, dumbfounded why it out of the blue does...