Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

12 Inch Dob recommended accessories

Hi all,

I recently acquired a 12inch Dobsonian and was wondering what sort of things people would recommend I get for it.

I've got 3 different eyepieces which is plenty for now (all decent quality 2 inch). I'm looking into getting some sort of adjustable chair for comfier observing. It has a red-dot finderscope on it but I do have a regular 9x50 scope I can attach to it if need be. I've seen people raving about Telrads, so wondered if it'd be worth getting one of those instead. Also one of my eyepieces is 38mm 70 fov, would it be a good idea to use that in conjunction with a Telrad or the red-dot finder as apposed to using the 9x50?

One thing I know I need is a collimator for obvious reasons.

Something I have done is bought some carry-straps (seen below) to help with lifting the damn thing!

1887822912_newone.thumb.jpg.1eebb618bada2c47608ddb4f4b1de4a3.jpg

Any help would be appreciated!

• Like 1

Congratulations on your 12 inch dob - great scope with loads of potential.

For collimation I now rely on a cheshire eyepiece / sighting tube which I find accurate and simple to use.

For finding, on my 12 inch I use a 9x50 right angled finder alongside a Rigel Quickfinder which is similar to a Telrad. I find those, plus a good start chart, very effective finding tools. I also have a low power / ultra wide angle eyepiece as an additional aid to finding.

So I think the Telrad or a Rigel Quickfinder is a great investment for such a scope to use in conjunction with an optical finder.

Here is how I have them arranged on my scope:

oo12dob02.JPG

Yes Telrad And finder scope.

There are loads of other bits and pieces, but getting it pointing in the right direction is a priority.

One of these will be on your shopping list at some stage:

https://www.365astronomy.com/Lacerta-Dual-Speed-1-10-Microfocus-Upgrade-Kit-for-Skywatcher-Crayford-Focusers.html

and one of these light shrouds. It keeps out stray light (and spiders):

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/AZ-1305.html

Then you’ll want to look at dew heaters......

The best accessory is a smart phone/tablet and SkySafari Pro.

Paul

PS. Like the carry handles. Very simple solution.

On 27/07/2019 at 15:59, John said:

Congratulations on your 12 inch dob - great scope with loads of potential.

For collimation I now rely on a cheshire eyepiece / sighting tube which I find accurate and simple to use.

For finding, on my 12 inch I use a 9x50 right angled finder alongside a Rigel Quickfinder which is similar to a Telrad. I find those, plus a good start chart, very effective finding tools. I also have a low power / ultra wide angle eyepiece as an additional aid to finding.

So I think the Telrad or a Rigel Quickfinder is a great investment for such a scope to use in conjunction with an optical finder.

Cheers John, seems like a solid setup to go for, quite like the look of the QuikFinder due to the height of it, less neck craning! 

On 27/07/2019 at 16:29, Paul73 said:

Yes Telrad And finder scope.

There are loads of other bits and pieces, but getting it pointing in the right direction is a priority.

One of these will be on your shopping list at some stage:

https://www.365astronomy.com/Lacerta-Dual-Speed-1-10-Microfocus-Upgrade-Kit-for-Skywatcher-Crayford-Focusers.html

and one of these light shrouds. It keeps out stray light (and spiders):

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/AZ-1305.html

Then you’ll want to look at dew heaters......

The best accessory is a smart phone/tablet and SkySafari Pro.

Paul

PS. Like the carry handles. Very simple solution.

Funnily enough I've looked at that exact webpage for the focuser upgrade so I'll probably go for that in the near future. And of course a light shroud, I don't know how I didn't remember one of them! 

Cheers for the replies guys!

Congrats!

Do you have a dual speed focusser? If not, there is a ~€80 upgrade from Lacerta for SW crayfords which is really brilliant. [Oops just spotted that Paul73 covered this 😁]

I'll also mention an O-III nebula filter ;) (if you dont have one)

Enjoy a great scope!

-Niall

Edited by niallk